ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone else using Ramdisk in Windows 7?

<< < (11/14) > >>

kyrathaba:
I prefer chugging enough memory in my system and not worry about the pagefile - but it's only an option if you can always having enough physical memory available.
--- End quote ---

It sounds, then, like I could easily get by with no swap file.  I have 6 GB RAM, and run pretty light in terms of both the number of simultaneously running apps I use, and the heftiness of those apps in terms of memory usage.  About the heaviest app I use is Firefox, and I've got it under control with Firemin.

kyrathaba:
My RAM usage usually stays between 30-35%.

40hz:
Dunno...maybe I'm just lazy (or stupid) but starting with XP I just set a fixed pagefile size to the maximum amount the system automatically determines when it's allowed to manage memory. And I have never experienced an OOM situation doing it that way.

As Stoic pointed out earlier, Windows is actually very good at managing it's memory space. So unless you have some very unusual requirements, most tech voodoo and deviation from the basics seldom nets a benefit worth pursuing. And with an operating system as locked down (and with so many undocumented subsystems) as Windows, it's not like you can always know what your mucking around with system and low level settings will do.

To me, life is far too short to bother with most of that unless I need to fix something that's broken. And most times, throwing in some additional RAM accomplishes the same thing faster and better anyway.

Ramdisks are another story. I use them (on servers) for rapidly updating temporary file caches and logs. But that's not something most people (except engineers or graphics pros) would ever need to worry about on a workstation. My feeling is that if you really do have a legitimate use for a ramdisk, you already know when, where, and why you need to set one up.

The people who do America's Test Kitchen  and Cooks magazinehave a philosophy I apply to much of the system tweaking I do. They're always asking." What does the extra work get you?" When Cooks publishes a recipe, they try out every variation (ex: 'milk heated' vs 'at room temperature' -or- should you use plain yogurt or sour cream) they can get their hands on. When they're done (they once tried 35 different recipe variations for sugar cookies!) they can tell you exactly what matters and what doesn't. What's a legitimate concern, and what's just old-wives tales.

Some of the most interesting and beneficial comments come when they find something fussy and persnickety that does make a difference. Because at that point, it becomes necessary to decide if it's worth the extra time and money. One recipe called for some extra steps and a seasonally hard to find ingredient. Their conclusion? It was the best recipe - but not really worth it for the added expense and inconvenience it entailed. The runner-up recipe gave the taste testers 99% of what the ideal recipe did - but with considerably less work and fussing. Conclusion: go with the runner-up for most occasions.

I approach system tweaks and optimization the same way.

In my field of business there's a saying: The first 90% of a project consumes 90% of the budget. The last 10% of the project consumes and additional 90% of the original budget.

I found that to be pretty much the case.  ;D

Just my tuppence. :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead:
Don't see the point of those fixed size partitions these day, really - for the same reasons as my arguments against the fixed-size windows paging file. There were technical reasons for it back in the olden days, but Linux has supported file-based swap for a while now.
--- End quote ---

It supported file based swap when I was using it. It's just that partition based is more efficient. Read how it works with partition based swap before making assumptions.

I notice your post is filled with implications such as "blindly follow" etc.

So your remedy is to blindly follow you instead of my 16 years of experiences using and watching my systems? Tsk tsk.  Debate tactics rather than argument.

btw I took swap off. I don't need it now that I have Bookmark Sentry to fix my Chromium bookmarks. :)

In these arguments everyone ignores usage.  People who have 20 windows open constantly are going to use more ram than people like me who have a couple open and close what's not needed.  I don't run 20 Tabs in Chromium.  The usual for me is 3.  "What's best" shouldn't even be asked until you ask "how to you use your system?"  Otherwise it's just tail chasing.

Stoic Joker:
In my field of business there's a saying: The first 90% of a project consumes 90% of the budget. The last 10% of the project consumes and additional 90% of the original budget.

I found that to be pretty much the case.
-40hz (September 01, 2011, 05:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yepper, that sounds about right to me too. ;)

I just spent the better part of this week doing an SBS2000 to Server 2008 std migration. which included a decades worth of tax & accounting software.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version