ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone else using Ramdisk in Windows 7?

<< < (2/14) > >>

kyrathaba:
On the other hand, if you only have 1 GB RAM, you might be better off NOT creating a RAMdisk.  My impression is that a RAM disk works best in addition to sufficient normal RAM, but I'm no expert.  I'll let others comment.

kyrathaba:
There's a user manual available for RamDisk.

The Driver has been written to WDM standards and creates a low-level disk object that Windows
Device Manager and Disk Management are able to "see" and manage.  You can partition, format,
mount a volume, and assign multiple drive letters to RAMDisk (but only if you would know how to
do those things with a regular disk, RAMDisk does not do it for you).

Upon successful Start of the RAMDisk, a kernel level driver (RAMDisk.sys) is loaded into the
Windows/System32/drivers folder.  This driver will be available to Windows each time RAMDisk
starts.  It is removed when RAMDisk is stopped.

--- End quote ---

MilesAhead:
I used this RamDisk for awhile on my Vista64 PC.  It has 8 GB ram.  I only used it to run Firefox portable. If the HD was busy FF(was 3.6 I was using then but it's the same now) is a dog loading up.

I discarded contents on system shutdown. On startup I used an XCopy script I found on the web to copy the Firefox portable folder into the RamDisk.

It loaded quickly I'll say that.  But with Chromium I don't need a RamDisk for quick loading. I use FF as my secondary browser now.

If anyone wants to run FF portable out of this RamDisk I'm pretty sure this is the page I used as a guide:

http://www.wikihow.com/Speed-Up-Firefox-by-Running-It-In-RAM

vlastimil:
I have never used it and I do not see much use for it. In effect, it takes away some memory from Windows manager and dedicates it to a single purpose. It is now your task to select what to use the memory for. If you did not put anything there, I doubt it had any effect.

If your computer feels snapier, it could be due to to the disabled swap. With lots of memory, the swap is useless and it is one less thing Windows must manage.

nudone:
Maybe not as much fun as using a ramdisk but I think I get the same results by having Firefox (3.6 with lots of extensions) load in at startup and then minimise itself - so it's ready and waiting. The next important part is to keep FF open all day, minimise if need be (even to the system tray) just don't close it.

Does a ramdisk offer much more than this? If so, I'll have to try it, I mean, does a ramdisk make FF faster in actual operation and not just loading up?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version