ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone else using Ramdisk in Windows 7?

<< < (6/14) > >>

kyrathaba:
What's your opinion on this:

Windows willingly swaps its own code from memory to make room for your other programs. But since Windows code is the most often used when you run your system, swapping it can slow things down. You can save swap time by making Windows lock its own kernel in RAM, as long as you have enough memory (512MB).

Note that the Registry controls all swapping of the kernel, and any erroneous alteration in the Registry can make your PC inoperable. Use the program Regedit (usually found in your Windows or WinNT folder). Click on My Computer | Local Disk (C:) | Windows | Regedit.

Expand the listings to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management in the left-hand half of the window. Highlight DisablePagingExecutive on the right-hand side. Then click on Edit | Modify and enter the value 1. Click on OK, close Regedit, and reboot your computer.

--- End quote ---

Stoic Joker:
With a habit of multitasking I frequently have 50 to 100 things going at once as I (am forced to) bounce from one project to another. So I tend to hedge my bets a bit and run a fixed size 2GB PageFile with 4GB of physical RAM on a 64-bit machine.

With that configuration and work load, I've never had any stability issues with this machine running either Vista or 7. And the machine is almost 5 years old now.

Stoic Joker:
What's your opinion on this:

Windows willingly swaps its own code from memory to make room for your other programs. But since Windows code is the most often used when you run your system, swapping it can slow things down. You can save swap time by making Windows lock its own kernel in RAM, as long as you have enough memory (512MB).

Note that the Registry controls all swapping of the kernel, and any erroneous alteration in the Registry can make your PC inoperable. Use the program Regedit (usually found in your Windows or WinNT folder). Click on My Computer | Local Disk (C:) | Windows | Regedit.

Expand the listings to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management in the left-hand half of the window. Highlight DisablePagingExecutive on the right-hand side. Then click on Edit | Modify and enter the value 1. Click on OK, close Regedit, and reboot your computer.

--- End quote ---
-kyrathaba (August 26, 2011, 07:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Seemed like a nice tweak back in the 2k days, but I haven't used it in years.

kyrathaba:
Right now, here's what I've got:

I have 6 GB RAM installed on this Win7 Home Premium 64-bit machine.  I have a 1.5 GB RAMdisk installed, but I'm allowing Windows to manage the pagefile.  I've tweaked the registry to force Windows to keep it's kernel solely in RAM (no reads from disk).

Before doing any of these steps, I've created a restore point each time and I backed up my registry before applying the tweak.

Do you think I'm in good shape?

vlastimil:
No, but have fun  8) Peace!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version