topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 9:25 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Seriously, Youtube is becoming impossible!  (Read 22708 times)

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Seriously, Youtube is becoming impossible!
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 07:02 PM »
Deozaan, I think  he meant ABP for Adblock Plus.

Jim

Ah. Thanks. :)
Oops, yeah I meant ABP not ADP. I never spell check my work. As for the hosts file, goto http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/
[Insert really cool signature here]

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 07:41 PM »
I'm just glad they haven't figured out a way to lump their ads on my downloaded youtube videos.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2011, 09:48 AM »
I'm just glad they haven't figured out a way to lump their ads on my downloaded youtube videos.

Give them time...Soon they will be edited into the videos themselves during upload...Can almost guarantee that.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2011, 11:17 PM »
Well they have an online editor available for youtubers to edit their videos straight from the website. It should be possible for  youtube to edit the ads straight onto the videos if they really wanted to. ;D
[Insert really cool signature here]

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2011, 11:54 AM »
Give them time...Soon they will be edited into the videos themselves during upload...Can almost guarantee that.

Except then they'd hugely increase their storage costs as they'd need to maintain different copies of vids for different ads.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2011, 06:12 PM »

Except then they'd hugely increase their storage costs as they'd need to maintain different copies of vids for different ads.

Na, they'd just chop up your video and then chain the bits together with some type of playlist script ... Not like they care if your video skips while the ad loads. Them eyeballs need paid for Ya know... ;)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2011, 09:34 AM »
Good point, I'de never thought that might be one of the reasons they don't include the ads in the video itself.
Also, there wouldn't be any "x" to close, I suppose that matters too.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2011, 03:24 AM »
How about YouTube offering users the option of a subscription account if you want your videos to be add free? Say $1 per year per video to a maximum  of $25 a year,

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2011, 12:28 AM »
This may be relevant:

Yousabletube on Userscripts.org

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2014, 09:53 AM »
Has YouTube made some major changes recently?

Because the FF Adblock Plus browser extension always used to do a good job of eliminating them. It's true those miserable adverts will reappear every so often. But the developer stays on top of things and updates regularly. So whenever adverts change tactics, the very next update to ABP (or one of its filter subscriptions) starts catching them. At least so far. Worst case (for me) has been having to put up with those ads for about a day before they magically vanish once again.

I take Adblock Plus for granted so much that I'm always stunned at what places like YouTube get up to whenever I use a browser that doesn't have it. Which is why Adblock Plus (and NoScript  :up:) are the first extensions I load whenever I'm installing Firefox.

ABP and NoScript are two extensions I also regularly send in a contribution for. I'd have gone crazy by now without them. ;D

Note: There's also versions available for Chrome and K-Meleon :-* if you're not a Firefox user.

Just watched the Adblock Plus video but it only showed popups being blocked.  Does it block those translucent buggers that rise up from the bottom?

Firefox, Chrome, Android, Opera, IE and Safari versions are now offered.  Still free.  Didn't see K-Meleon.   :huh: