topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Comment Explorer 2.5.0.4  (Read 37864 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Comment Explorer 1.7.7.0
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2011, 12:47 AM »
Comment Explorer 1.7.7.0 Added Edit Ini File command to Tray Menu.

Also when the ToolTip is showing on Explorer Window you can press Esc to close it before the time out.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Comment Explorer 1.7.7.0
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2011, 02:07 AM »
No version update but I edited the Readme.txt file.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Comment Explorer 1.8.0.0
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2011, 03:13 PM »
Comment Explorer 1.8.0.0 Added Control-F11 Hotkey to Copy Comments for selected files to another folder.  I took the easy way out.  A BrowseForFolder dialog appears.  Once the target folder is selected, the comments are copied in the Dictionary and Comment File. The target folder is opened in Explorer and you are prompted to drag & drop the files.

I added a Quick Start section to the top of the Readme.txt file.
No need to read the minutia after it if things work as expected.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Comment Explorer 1.8.1.0
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2011, 07:15 PM »
Comment Explorer 1.8.1.0 Fixed Esc key bug.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2011, 02:22 AM »
I'm curious about this one - where do the comments get stored? a db? attributes? sidecar data?

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2011, 07:00 AM »
I am here again. Sorry if I can't go early.
I begin with the last version
 ;D

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2011, 07:07 AM »
I am doing something wrong with the program and the interaction with de user.
I invoke : Shift-F11 and give me the opportunity to enter the comment.
But to see the comment is another question. i don't get it with the arrows keys.
If the file is the firs row I obtain the comment with the up arrow
Sometimes when I move with the arrow keys the comment don't refresh

What can i do ?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2011, 05:28 PM »
I'm not sure I understand.  CommentExplorer only sends the currently selected file when selected with Up or Down key. If there is no comment, nothing is shown.  If you are on the file you just added a comment to, press the arrow to go to a different file, then back. It should pop up the tool tip.

The reason I did it this way if I used the Windows Mouse Hover tooltip before. The font is small and hard to read.  There's a lag time before the tooltip pops up. You have to register each file extension type to get it.  This way I can use larger fonts. The response is nearly instantaneous. Any other way would hog system resources.

Also if you don't see any ToolTip and you know you commented the file, right click the Tray Icon and see if Arrow Tooltips has a Check next to it.  If not, it won't show anything.  Click it in the menu or double click the tray icon to toggle it.

This is in the Readme.txt file.

edit: It will only show the comment in Explorer when one file is selected using the Up or Down key.  If you held down shift to select multiple files, you can comment them in a loop but to show the comment only select one file using Up or Down.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 06:06 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Comment Explorer 1.8.3.0
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2011, 05:48 PM »
Comment Explorer 1.8.3.0 Added FolderMode option to .ini file.  If FolderMode=0 the program works just like now.  If FolderMode=1 then a local comment data file is created in each folder when a comment for a file in that folder is made.  Only the filename will be used as key instead of the entire path.

This should make it easier to just copy a whole folder with included comment file onto a new machine.  Also it avoids the drive letter change and change in folder structure issues.

The down side is you don't have a global data file for everything on the system.

Global mode may be convenient but I recommend only using it for download folders on a drive that's not likely to change letters.  For example if you have a bunch of commented files in a folder on a USB drive that was drive x: when you made the comments, and pops up as drive v: when you plug it in, to get the comment lookup working you'd have to force the USB to be drive x: or manually edit the comment file.

If you have a large download folder using local mode with many comments, you can just drag and drop it to a new machine since only the filename is used as key.

Not elegant but it's tough when there's no real mechanism to just declare an alias for a drive.

When FolderMode is active the Back Up Comments command in the Tray Menu is disabled.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Comment Explorer 1.8.5.0
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2011, 09:01 PM »
Comment Explorer 1.8.5.0 Minor fixes and adjustments.

@Contro, this may fix the issue with the tooltip update/refresh.

I exit the hotkey routine if comments are being entered or there's file access.
This was screening out the tool tip clear call.  I was relying on a timer call
to clear the tooltip. I put the call to clear the tooltip at the top.  Now the
timer should only be used if you arrow to a file that shows a tip and leave it there.

See if there's less lag now.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:07 PM by MilesAhead »

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2011, 05:17 AM »
I am going.
Best Regards
 :)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2011, 05:27 AM »
I don't really understand the philosophy of the program. Because for me is much better when I have activated the program that if I highlight the file automatically show the comment.

At the present moment you don't see automatically the comment. So you have to go think in the program all time is not confortable.

In other experiment I observ and intermitent behaviour and sometimes see the comment and other dissapear.
By example : If you have previously assign the comment to a icon and use the arrow down to navigate then show the comment .

I am of the opinion that is the program is activated I have to see the comment in all situations when the icon is highlighted.

Best Regards

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2011, 02:09 PM »
I don't really understand the philosophy of the program. Because for me is much better when I have activated the program that if I highlight the file automatically show the comment.

At the present moment you don't see automatically the comment. So you have to go think in the program all time is not confortable.

In other experiment I observ and intermitent behaviour and sometimes see the comment and other dissapear.
By example : If you have previously assign the comment to a icon and use the arrow down to navigate then show the comment .

I am of the opinion that is the program is activated I have to see the comment in all situations when the icon is highlighted.

Best Regards

Then I guess it's not for you.  I tried adding Left Mouse Button click to the hotkeys. It's not dependable.  It would display the ToolTip when selecting a file at times, but not every time. It seemed to be related to the number of entries in a folder.  There's probably too many things in the system already hooked to the mouse as it is.

Thanks for trying it out. If you find anything better please let me know. I may use it myself.

Ideally it should be built into Windows. I don't understand why they have an item available in Details View called Comment but they don't let you enter a comment.

The advantage of my method is it will work the same on XP and later.  Not change with every Windows flavor.  But now you see why I hate working on this problem. I've been messing with it on and off for over 10 years. I don't see any other superior solutions by anyone else.  Therefore I have to conclude there is no good solution. Only work-arounds.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 02:13 PM by MilesAhead »

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2011, 03:59 PM »

Best Regards

Then I guess it's not for you.  I tried adding Left Mouse Button click to the hotkeys. It's not dependable.  It would display the ToolTip when selecting a file at times, but not every time. It seemed to be related to the number of entries in a folder.  There's probably too many things in the system already hooked to the mouse as it is.

Thanks for trying it out. If you find anything better please let me know. I may use it myself.

Ideally it should be built into Windows. I don't understand why they have an item available in Details View called Comment but they don't let you enter a comment.

The advantage of my method is it will work the same on XP and later.  Not change with every Windows flavor.  But now you see why I hate working on this problem. I've been messing with it on and off for over 10 years. I don't see any other superior solutions by anyone else.  Therefore I have to conclude there is no good solution. Only work-arounds.

Glupsssss  :(
Please don't give up and continue any other version to can follow.
Ouwwww. At the present moment your program is residente and i am using.

It's for me.

;D

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2011, 04:33 PM »
Thanks for using it. :)

Version 1.9 shows the tooltip using the mouse.  I found that there are 2 different list classes in Explorer Window.  One the response is snappy.  The other it misses copying on the first go.  Depending on which one happens to be used in the Explorer window, the mouse response will be better or worse.

The Up and Down keys are instant.  Don't ask me why. :)

I'll post the update notice.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Comment Explorer 1.9.0.0
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2011, 04:40 PM »
Comment Explorer 1.9.0.0 Now the ToolTip is shown for a comment if the file is clicked with the Left Mouse Button.

Seems there are 2 list classes in Explorer Windows.  SysListView321 is the one that needs a second kick before it will copy to clipboard. Maybe it has more of a delay getting the focus when you click, I'm not sure. But at least it seems to work every time.

Edit: it's probably a good idea to set the TimeOut option in the .ini file to 3000 or so to improve response.  When you click in one folder to show a ToolTip, then click in another folder the Timer will be running on the ToolTip.  If you mainly use Up and Down keys then you might want a longer time out since hitting the key will clear the tip right away.  But if you mainly use mouse a shorter time out would be better.

I'm still trying to figure out why some folders, the file pane is DirectUIHWND3 and some are SysListView321.  Seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. SysListView321 has the slow response.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 05:35 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Comment Explorer 1.9.1.0
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2011, 08:45 PM »
Comment Explorer 1.9.1.0 I got rid of the TimeOut option. It caused the app to bog. Now the ToolTip will stay unless you Up or Down or Click in Explorer or press Esc key anywhere.

The Purge and Backup commands are disabled in FolderMode.  But Compact Comments works in either mode.  If the Dictionary is currently empty it will pop up a dialog "No Comments to Compact."  On success it's silent.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2011, 05:00 AM »
perfect. I'll try the weekend and comment
Best Regards
 ;D

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2011, 05:30 AM »
Owwwww. I try right now.
When you navigate with the arrow keys sometimes don't refresh the comment and appear in an icon without comment. When clicking with the mouse all goes well. The comment appear in a few seconds if exist.
 ;D
A curious thing. The comment persist in the screen when you don't minimize the window and invoke another one like the FF window. (FF is Firefox).

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2011, 02:02 PM »
I haven't been getting what you talk about with the arrow keys.

I removed the timer to automatically get rid of hanging comments because it bogged it down.  When you click on any Explorer window with the mouse, including 'x' to close it, it will kill a hanging comment.  To get rid of a hanging comment press Esc key anywhere. The program lets Esc pass through.  So be aware if you have a dialog open that closes on Esc it will close too.

Can you tell me a bit more about arrow keys not working?

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2011, 03:19 PM »
Yes I'll do.  :)
Now is going well, but I had problem with clipboard and ditto. Then I closed CommentExplorer and goes well. But now is not happening.
I'll do my very best to depure the program or my pc.
Best Regards

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2011, 04:10 PM »
I have been taking screenshots. I hope you can understand with no words.

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/8318/screenshot3108201122074.png
Comment Explorer 2.5.0.4

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/3334/screenshot3108201121561.png
Comment Explorer 2.5.0.4

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/660/screenshot3108201121562.png
Comment Explorer 2.5.0.4

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/909/screenshot3108201121571.png
Comment Explorer 2.5.0.4

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/2928/screenshot3108201121572.png
Comment Explorer 2.5.0.4

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/5705/screenshot3108201121580.png
Comment Explorer 2.5.0.4

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5074/screenshot3108201121592.png
Comment Explorer 2.5.0.4

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/7323/screenshot3108201121593.png
Comment Explorer 2.5.0.4

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2011, 04:12 PM »
In the above proofs I don't have no problemas with the clipboard and ditto.
 :-*

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2011, 05:50 PM »
The program only saves text that's in the clipboard. Not graphics.  That's why I have Double click Tray Icon to disable.

If it's another issue I still don't know what you mean.

edit:

Also I notice from the screen shots you seem to use Icon View.
For commenting I think you'll get better results with Details View.

There's no need to have the program run all the time.  I launch it to
comment my downloads or look through the comments. It's not really
designed for system wide heavy duty file annotation.  That needs to
be either in the file system itself, or a full blown file manager program.

The facility should have been added to Windows about a year after the
first PC Mag shell extension to comment files.  12 years later and still
waiting for MS to get the hint.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 05:57 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Comment Explorer 2.0.0.0
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2011, 05:52 PM »
Comment Explorer 2.0.0.0 Added ProgressBar to Compact/Purge functions.  Also added dialog for Compact function in FolderMode to verify the file to be compacted.

Windows Seven Taskbar Progress is on the ToDo List.