ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Key counting script

<< < (2/6) > >>

skwire:
Yes, I can easily make it save when YOU initiate closing the script.  Choosing Exit from its own tray menu or some such.  What I meant was that catching the system-wide shutdown message Windows sends when shutting down is hit-or-miss.  As for performance issues, that will be up to you; it should be negligible.

Robby250:
Just select a rate that you consider safe enough and not make it an overkill. If there is a problem with it I will probably be able to edit the saving rate anyway, because I think there are obvious signs such as Savefile bla bla *file name* around there along with a number it is pretty noticeable that that is the saving rate, is it not?
That is, considering you are making it an .ahk script and not .exe.

skwire:
@Robby250: I started work on this but there is one caveat.  Let me try to explain.  The original app, KeyCounter, should technically be called CharacterCounter since that's actually what it's doing.  Counting characters...not keystrokes.  So, this version I'm making for you is an up-event keystroke counter.  This brings us to the caveat.  Since it's a keystroke counter, it doesn't know about something like, for instance, the exclamation point.  The exclamation point is a character, not a key.  So, for an exclamation point, this new app will register two keystroke up-events: "Right Shift" and the "1" key.  Does that make sense?  Is this going to be an issue?

Robby250:
@Robby250: I started work on this but there is one caveat.  Let me try to explain.  The original app, KeyCounter, should technically be called CharacterCounter since that's actually what it's doing.  Counting characters...not keystrokes.  So, this version I'm making for you is an up-event keystroke counter.  This brings us to the caveat.  Since it's a keystroke counter, it doesn't know about something like, for instance, the exclamation point.  The exclamation point is a character, not a key.  So, for an exclamation point, this new app will register two keystroke up-events: "Right Shift" and the "1" key.  Does that make sense?  Is this going to be an issue?
-skwire (August 29, 2011, 05:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
No, actually that's exactly what I want, I even mentioned in the other thread that I want for example ' and " to count as the same key, which is another difference to the KeyCounter.
Also, I'm wondering. Can it notice the difference between the right shift and left shift; right ctrl and left? Or do some of them identify as exactly the same? And recently I've noticed that my right Alt produces both Alt and Ctrl... Would that count as 2 keystrokes?

And by the way, you don't need such an extended explanation, I can understand :P.

Something cool I thought of but would take too much time and effort to make, is an interface with a keyboard layout like this one: http://patorjk.com/typing-speed-test/
After you're done with the test, it colors the keys by response time (I was thinking of counting by amount of presses) and on mouseover shows counts of the keys... But as I said, isn't something for such a simple script like this.

Another thing I want to know with Autohotkey, and you seem like someone who knows about it, is if you can bind several keys to a single key. Not only to send them on a press, but the selected keys to be pressed when I press the key they're bound to, and release when I release it. Do you know if that's possible? I haven't found anything like this anywhere. Not related to this script though.

skwire:
No, actually that's exactly what I want, I even mentioned in the other thread that I want for example ' and " to count as the same key, which is another difference to the KeyCounter.-Robby250 (August 30, 2011, 02:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Great.

Also, I'm wondering. Can it notice the difference between the right shift and left shift; right ctrl and left? Or do some of them identify as exactly the same? And recently I've noticed that my right Alt produces both Alt and Ctrl... Would that count as 2 keystrokes?-Robby250 (August 30, 2011, 02:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have it written so that it does separate left/right Control, Alt, Shift and Win keys.  That being said, not all keyboards are the same so your results may vary.  It works here on my Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro.

Another thing I want to know with Autohotkey, and you seem like someone who knows about it, is if you can bind several keys to a single key. Not only to send them on a press, but the selected keys to be pressed when I press the key they're bound to, and release when I release it. Do you know if that's possible? I haven't found anything like this anywhere. Not related to this script though.-Robby250 (August 30, 2011, 02:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sure, that's possible.  I assume you mean this for gaming purposes.  If so, check out the AutoHotkey forum.  It's probably full of scripts like this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version