topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 6:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: GOD IS DEAD~! =P  (Read 7914 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
GOD IS DEAD~! =P
« on: August 24, 2011, 09:02 PM »
GOD IS DEAD! GOD IS DEAD!

Ok, well, enough with allusions to The Gay Science. It just was begging for it:

http://news.cnet.com...le-with-their-faith/

Apple announced Wednesday that CEO Steve Jobs is stepping down. With the news, many Apple fans are questioning the future of the company, while others feel it will be better than ever.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: GOD IS DEAD~! =P
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 09:57 PM »
Hmmm... not dead yet, but perhaps a trifle pale and gaunt...  :huh:

Sort of expected really, he's had some serious health problems lately, making him not-so-immortal, which kind of disqualifies him as a god.
However, in the spirit of Buddha's shadow and Uncle Walt, he'd do good to have a Pixar representation of himself trotted out from time to time announcing something "magical", "amazing", or "beautiful" wrought at the hands of his design-school understudies.

Maybe.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 12:33 AM »
Never idolized Jobs. His sole ambition seems to have been to be as big a bully as Microsoft ever was in its heyday. He succeeded at that. Never bought any of his gadgets or computers because I didn't need their closed systems nor could I ever afford them over the last three decades. I'm thinking he'll come roaring back as soon as the stock price drops a few hundred points.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 06:06 AM »
Finally his resignation will surely help linux desktop as apple is likely to lag on some projects where jobs personally keeps tab. I'm sure he found someone worthy for his company. Trouble with fanboi (or faith mindset) is that before death, they try to create thousands like them. They think this is necessary and good for their tribe. Jobs may not be well but there are many designers and developers inspired by apples simplicity (ehm, including one-button stuff). Jobs and gates both are indirectly involved into their own properties and still they're steering things in the market.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 07:55 AM »
<orchestra plays softly>

Don't cry for me Cupertino
The truth is I never left you
All through my wild days
My mad existence
I kept my promise
Don't keep your distance

Have I said to much?
There's nothing more I can think of to say to you
But all you have to do
Is look at me to know
That every word is true...

(with apologies to Andrew Lloyd Webber)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 08:56 AM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 10:06 AM »
<orchestra plays softly>

Don't cry for me Cupertino
The truth is I never left you
All through my wild days
My mad existence
I kept my promise
Don't keep your distance

Have I said to much?
There's nothing more I can think of to say to you
But all you have to do
Is look at me to know
That every word is true...

(with apologies to Andrew Lloyd Webber)
Bravo!  Encore!

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 02:31 AM »
I would have taken a holiday the past two years and spent some of my billions if I were Jobs. Dude is not long for this planet.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 07:18 AM »
Excellent article putting Steve Jobs and his contributions into perspective can be found here.

ITWire writer Sam Varghese echoes many of the things tech writer and industry watcher Robert Cringely has said over the years - that there's a bit more legend than man in much of what's been said about Jobs.

If one were to go by the reaction to the news that Steve Jobs would no longer be the chief executive of Apple Computer, the man is Mother Teresa, the Dalai Lama and Henry Ford all rolled into one.

Hard-core journalists appear to have put all their scepticism aside and wallowed in trying to outdo each other in superlatives.

The emotional tributes give Jobs the credit for anything and everything that Apple has ever done, especially its achievements in the noughties.

The reality is a bit different. And if one strikes a sour note, there are no apologies - this is not a reality TV show where selective reality is played out. No, this is life and the warts and sores are as real as the plastic and the botox.

While people continue to paint him as some kind of technical genius, the truth is that Jobs is nothing of the sort. What he is, is a supreme salesman. Apple was built on the back of technical geniuses like Steve Wozniak, the late Jef Raskin, Andy Hertzfeld, Burrell Smith, Randy Wigginton, Bill Atkinson, Rich Page, and Bud Tribble.

Page and Tribble left Apple with Jobs when he quit in 1985 and went off to found NeXT, the company that would come up with an operating system based on a BSD core which has morphed into Mac OS X. Page was in charge of hardware development and Tribble took the equivalent role in software at NeXT. Again, Jobs did not create anything.

The iMac was the result of the imagination of Apple design engineer Jonathan Ive.

Take the iPod. It was created by Apple's hardware engineering chief, Jon Rubinstein with his entourage who were given a year to build the device. Michael Dhuey, Tony Fadell and Ive were part of the team.

The iPad? A team led by Ive was responsible for it. Jobs created nothing.

The company has never given credit to anyone for anything, retaining Jobs as sole marketing point, creating legend after legend about him. This was done in the early days too, to the point where a much younger Jobs began to actually believe the hype.

In Accidental Empires, his history of the PC industry, veteran technology journalist Robert X. Cringely quotes an Apple marketer standing up and telling Jobs: "Steve, we wrote this stuff about you. We made it up."

Having watched the trajectory of Apple from it's inception (and owning a series of it's products starting with an Apple][ and hopefully concluding with the purchase of my iPhone 3G) - I'm amazed at the reality distortion field that's come into effect once Jobs returned to Apple after his NeXT debacle.

When it comes to Steve Jobs, I hope the industry wakes up to the fact its not so much that "God is Dead!" It's far more accurate to say, "There is no God."

Perhaps the best way to look at this can be found in the words of poet and lyricist E.Y.Harburg (most famous for the lyrics, and much of the dialog, in The Wizard of Oz movie):

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree;

And only God who makes the tree
Also makes the fools like me.

But only fools like me, you see,
Can make a God, who makes a tree.

— Yip Harburg

How true... Like James Thurber once said: Mighty oafs from little icons grow.

:Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 07:54 AM by 40hz »

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 08:49 AM »
It may be because of social media explosion but never found so much buzz around events of "bill gates stepping down" or "orcable buying sun". Steve jobs is getting lot of fan love in return for his hard work.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 09:39 AM »
It may be because of social media explosion but never found so much buzz around events of "bill gates stepping down" or "orcable buying sun". Steve jobs is getting lot of fan love in return for his hard work.

It's very nicely orchestrated. But "smart mobbing" and evangelism (along with dead-catting) is something the Apple fanboys have always excelled at. Contrast fanboys with Apple users who merely hope Apple doesn't go out of business before their AppleCare contract expires.
:P 

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 10:21 AM »
Their god is dead, and I definitely don't care - if there is a hell, I'll see him there.

(Kudos to whoever spots where those lyrics are taken & twisted from :)).
- carpe noctem

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 03:26 PM »
^Such an heretic :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 04:57 PM »
where those lyrics are taken & twisted from

Heresy by Nine Inch Nails?  :)

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 05:19 PM »
He sewed your eyes shut, because you were afraid to see. He tried to sure did tell you, what to put inside your PC. He had the answers to ease your curiosity; he dreamed a god up, and called it a-p-ple-TV! He flexed his muscles to keep his flock of sheep in line; he made an iOS that would kill off all the swine! his perfect kingdom of apps, lock-in and pain - demands devotion, atrocities done in his name.

...man, that song adapts way too easily - even if I perhaps stretched it a bit to make it rhyme :)
- carpe noctem

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 07:02 PM »
...man, that song adapts way too easily

Nice  syrupy techno bass line too!  :Thmbsup:

Reminds me a little of Depeche Mode's Personal Jesus

P.S. Liked their original video and sound more before they remastered it for this. :-\

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 09:41 AM »