topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:36 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Share your mouse and keyboard with multiple Mac or Windows computers  (Read 37045 times)

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
We kindly would like to invite you to the beta test of our latest product, the mouse and keyboard sharing software "ShareMouse", which allows you to control any computer with the mouse & keyboard of any other computer.

Yes, it sounds like SynergyKM, Multplicity or Input Direktor but ShareMouse has some special features:

* There is no master or slave. Each client is equal. Any computer can instantly control any other computer in any direction without re-configuration.

* ShareMouse is Mac <> Windows cross-platform compatible.

* ShareMouse automatically determines the monitor layout without manual configuration.

* ShareMouse uses UDP only and simplifys use in restricted networks.

* Many more...

If you have two (or more) Mac/Windows computers on your desk, ShareMouse is for you!

It would be great if you would check it out and let us know your thoughts.
Michael

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
That sounds quite interesting!

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Glad that you like the concept. It would be great to hear your feedback.
Michael

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Very cool indeed.

(The only issue is that I can't provide any useful feedback as I don't have a real world situation to try it in. If I manage to find one I'll report back.)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Okay, this is way to cool to not come up with some way of playing with it ... I just gotta think of something.

How old of an OS will it work with... NT4? OS9? Or will it need to be XP/OSX and above?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That looks awesome! Congratulations, I'm going to recommend this to a few friends of mine I know will love it ;)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I haven't been able to test it, but looking at your site I think I have one cool direction for future work:
You might consider adding something like what vmware does between the physical and virtual machines with vmware aditions. I can see lots of uses for clipboard sharing and file drag+drop between physical machines controlled with the same keyboard :)

[edit]
A few more remarks, now about the site:
1 - It's a matter of preference, but I think the site looks much better when I put the mouse over the menu on the left, in my opinion it should always be like that.
2 - It is not clear on the site that the software is shareware, I couldn't find a link to the shop anywhere except in the FAQ, which seems strange.
3 - I am assuming the trial version has some kind of time limit, I believe it should be stated somewhere in the download page.
4 - From reading the "work with a co-worker" scenario, I assume that the mouse works in a similar way to your multimouse, where you get multiple cursors in the same screen when you move to a different screen. If so, I think this much better than taking control of the other mouse (which was what I assumed first) and you probably would be better served by emphasizing it a bit more.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 12:26 PM by jgpaiva »

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Or will it need to be XP/OSX and above?

Yes, exactly. Sorry, but no older OS/computers.
Michael

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I can see lots of uses for clipboard sharing and file drag+drop between physical machines controlled with the same keyboard

Clipboard sharing is an absolute must for the Remote Desktop/Server Management stuff I do for most of my day ... That would be a great thing to have. File drag-n-drop would be nice too but I can live with out it. Also might be tricky to code and a bit heavy for UDP communication.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've used both Synergy and InputDirector in the past (with good results) so I'm interested to see how this develops.  From the video, it looks good so far.  And, yes, clipboard sharing is a must...even if it's only text.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Share your mouse and keyboard with multiple Mac or Windows computers
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 08:27 AM »
Apparently a Microsoft employee thought he needed to create his own app similar to this, so there's another interesting alternative: mouse without borders. It seems to have a few interesting ideas.

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 08:39 AM »
Yes, we found this too, with our great surprise as you can imagine. Interestingly, this software is limited to personal use. I wonder if Microsoft wants to come up with a paid version.

ShareMouse does everything what "Mouse without Borders" offers (including Drag & Drop of files):

ShareMouse Advantages:

• Cross-platform operation between Mac OSX & Windows computers.
  • Drag & Drop of multiple files.
  • You can drag the files to any target location, not just to the desktop.
  • ShareMouse doesn't leave an obselete auxiliary folder for each drag & drop operation like "Mouse without Borders".
  • A progress bar keeps you informed about the current file transfer status.
  • Accidental file transmissions can be cancelled at any time.
  • Support of an unlimited number of computers and monitors.
  • Uncompromized multi-monitor support.
  • Seamlesss Monitor positioning including vertical/horizontal shifts.
  • No monitor positioning, IP or port configuration required.
  • License for commercial use available.

More information here...

Download of the latest ShareMouse beta (including File Drag & Drop)
Michael
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 08:51 AM by BartelsMedia »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 10:35 AM »
Yes, we found this too, with our great surprise as you can imagine. Interestingly, this software is limited to personal use. I wonder if Microsoft wants to come up with a paid version.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from reading your FAQ it seems a license is always required for use of your product -  including strictly personal use?

I don't have a problem with that. (Although it would have been better to state that right up front, as jgpaiva suggested earlier, if that is the case.) But I like to be clear on licensing terms since I do (in my naiveté) honor them.  :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 10:41 AM by 40hz »

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 10:46 AM »
ShareMouse is currently beta and not officially available for sale.

We have not determined any license strategy so far. It may be free for personal use, it may be commercial only. Nothing has been decided yet. Sorry for that but we still need time for consideration.

I just wondered why "Mouse without Borders" has no commercial license at all. I wonder about Microsoft's strategy here.
Michael

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 10:56 AM »
^Understood. Thanks for the quick reply.  :)

I just wondered why "Mouse without Borders" has no commercial license at all. I wonder about Microsoft's strategy here.

It might be as simple as they haven't found a way to get it to work with Metro.  ;D

More seriously, I'm guessing they'll just wrap it into Windows (or Intellipoint) if there's sufficient interest. And provided it doesn't create support issues for them. Otherwise it will likely end up as yet another unsupported Power Toy for download.

I'm sure they're not particularly wild about this sort of utility because of potential security issues allowing hooks into the keyboard or mouse can expose you to. Hard to distinguish a legitimate utility from a keylogger in that environment.

And they do have Remote Desktop already so...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 11:20 AM by 40hz »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 02:25 PM »
Any chance ShareMouse could be made to work with an iPad?

Over the weekend I'll be jailbreaking my iPad simply so I can use VNC to control it for browser testing. Would be nice if something like ShareMouse just worked enough to avoid all that messing about.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 03:50 PM »
We kindly would like to invite you to the beta test of our latest product, the mouse and keyboard sharing software "ShareMouse", which allows you to control any computer with the mouse & keyboard of any other computer.

Question- I've been using the very well done MaxiVista for years (since beta, truth be told) and this seems to duplicate some of the functionality.  What are the differences?  Is this just to break out the sharing from MaxiVista as a separate product, or are new features included?

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 02:29 AM »
At first sight, ShareMouse seems to replicate the remote control feature of MaxiVista.

The core difference is, that in MaxiVista, the remote control mode is internally tied to virtual video drivers of the extended screen feature.

This difference leads to some significant benefits of ShareMouse, justifying a separate product.

* MaxiVista is Windows-only. ShareMouse supports Windows and Mac OSX.

* ShareMouse works bi-directional. MaxiVista is master-slave based.

* In MaxiVista remote control mode, the virtual video driver is always active in the background, preventing Aero. ShareMouse does not have a video driver and has no effects on Aero.

* MaxiVista is limited to 3 monitors. ShareMouse supports an unlimited number of monitors and computers.

* MaxiVista does not allow to position the monitors with slight shifts. ShareMouse provides any possible monitor positioning.

* ShareMouse will get many remote control related special features that we won't implement into MaxiVista as the main focus in MaxiVista is extending the monitor screen to a 2nd Win/Mac PC.

Hope, this helps.
Michael

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 03:39 AM »
Any chance ShareMouse could be made to work with an iPad.

There is no chance because Apple locked up the iPad and prevents us to run the required mouse & "keyboard" (touchpanel) hook on the iPad. If this changes, we will be first to make an iPad version. We use it, too.

By the way, there is MaxiVista for the iPad, that allows you to use your iPad as a monitor for your Windows PC. No remote control mode though.

Our apologies for the inconvenience.

I kindly ask for your understanding that we are not able to develop for Jailbreakers alone as this would not make sense business-wise.
Michael

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2011, 04:20 AM »
Any chance ShareMouse could be made to work with an iPad.

There is no chance because Apple locked up the iPad and prevents us to run the required mouse & "keyboard" (touchpanel) hook on the iPad. If this changes, we will be first to make an iPad version. We use it, too.

By the way, there is MaxiVista for the iPad, that allows you to use your iPad as a monitor for your Windows PC. No remote control mode though.

Our apologies for the inconvenience.

I kindly ask for your understanding that we are not able to develop for Jailbreakers alone as this would not make sense business-wise.

Thanks. I expected it to be very difficult or impossible to do (because of the iPad being locked). Just thought I'd ask as there's an obvious need for many people - hence the jailbreak method that has to be resorted to.

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2011, 04:24 AM »
Yes, it is a shame that the iPad is sealed to that extend. Would be nice if Apple would offer a switch to let users the choice.

We can't overcome the restrictions without such switch.
Michael

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 06:15 AM »
At first sight, ShareMouse seems to replicate the remote control feature of MaxiVista.

The core difference is, that in MaxiVista, the remote control mode is internally tied to virtual video drivers of the extended screen feature.

This difference leads to some significant benefits of ShareMouse, justifying a separate product.

* MaxiVista is Windows-only. ShareMouse supports Windows and Mac OSX.
Ah!  I didn't see that the KM works only with windows on MaxiVista, since I don't use it that way.  I use it purely for screen extension.

Thanks!

And nudone, you might still look into MaxiVista- it costs a bit including the ipad app, but its well worth it (and you can get more use out of your ipad :)).  Just make sure that you optimize your connection to the ipad when you first use it by the instructions.

And I figured the answer would be something like that; it's a shame.  I use my iPad to control my PC sometimes; it would be great to be able to hook up a mouse to it in any form.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 07:04 AM »
I really need the remote connection to the iPad rather than just the extension of main (PC) desktop onto iPad.

It's simply so I can control Safari on the iPad via VNC from the main PC. That way I don't have to keep taking my hands away from the mouse and keyboard to type URLs into iPad Safari - and hit the refresh,back buttons, etc. Instead, I'll be able to do it all from the main (PC) desktop as I'm testing the browsers on there.

(I'm using an iPad for testing rather than buying into Apple's developer tools as I don't have a Mac and don't wish to waste money on one. Well, I've a very old Mac but I'm still not paying Apple for the developer tools.)

spooz2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2011, 11:58 AM »
I cannot get Mouse Without Border to copy/paste between XP machines & Win 7.

ShareMouse does not have this problem.

However, using the mouse to copy/paste does not work, but, CTRL-C/CTRL-V does!

Is there any way to disable the dimming feature?

TIA

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2011, 12:24 PM »
Please post technical issues at the ShareMouse support forums.

> Is there any way to disable the dimming feature?

I gladly confirm that you can disable the dimming feature. There is a setting for this in the settings area. It is labelled "Dim inactive monitors" for your convenience. If you set it to none, then it is disabled. You can also choose any dimming from none to 80%.
Michael