topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: looking for a [i]single[/i] pane file manager  (Read 8988 times)

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
looking for a [i]single[/i] pane file manager
« on: August 23, 2011, 09:14 PM »
I normally use TotalCommander, but my (W7) netbook doesn't really have the available screenspace to use it comfortably, so I'm looking for a single pane FM to use instead

I have been using Explorer++ which I rather like, but I've found it to be pretty unstable (It routinely crashes if I try to move too quickly, or if I try and customise the toolbars, or or or).  I haven't had the opportunity to take this up with the developer, but a new version has recently been released that may resolve some of this.

Pending the outcome of either of those activities I'm looking for suggestions on possible alternatives (worth noting I have a longstanding dislike of windows explorer :-[). 

I do have some specific requirements, ie it must be tabbed, and it must have a customisable toolbar so that I can add common apps/tools (I tend to use my FM as something of a dashboard)

I'm guessing this is possibly a fairly narrow field as it's the opposite of the consensus with respect to 'modern' file managers, but I'd be interested to see whats out there and what your experiences/opinions (if any) are

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: looking for a [i]single[/i] pane file manager
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 09:23 PM »
xyplorer meets your description quite perfectly.

Edit: it may be dual pane by default these days, I'm not sure. Either way, the second pane can be toggled.  The interface is tabbed and immensely customizable.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 09:43 PM »
+1 on xyplorer.  Xplorer2 and Directory opus work for that also- just turn off the other pane.  But my choice is XYplorer, even though my day-to-day choice on my desktop/laptop is directory opus.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 07:48 AM »
I was about to suggest Directory Opus, but I see wraith808 beat me to it, as well as offering other, perhaps more reasonably-priced suggestions.  But I'm just wondering--I have heard so many enthusiastic reports about Total Commander: are you sure that it doesn't have a way to toggle from double to single pane?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 10:45 AM »
I also agree with Allen, you really should look into XYplorer. It has been designed as a single-pane file manager from the beginning (even though recent versions do have dual pane), and I also find it very fast and very stable.
I know you can also customize the toolbar, I just can't say with 100% certainty you can add buttons to launch applications. Still, if you can't, it has the "catalog" feature which does that (and a whole lot more) with the difference that it is typically located on the lower left of the app.

[edit]
I just checked the site, and it does have that feature. And it even supports drag+drop of files onto the button. Check here for more details.
Also, this 10.20 release apparently "was" made on 29-Aug-2011, which is 5 days from now. So as a bonus, you get a time-travelling program too.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:48 AM by jgpaiva »

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 01:46 PM »
Also, this 10.20 release apparently "was" made on 29-Aug-2011, which is 5 days from now. So as a bonus, you get a time-travelling program too.
LOL  ;D

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 02:28 PM »
Maybe some clarification:

TC:
you can move the splitter to the far right to get single pane mode, (and enable an tree on the left,)
and then execute "Save position" to make this persistent. (i use an extended menu which have this feature at hand,
but you can also execute it via the TC own command line: cm_ConfigSavePos )

XY:
come as single pane as default. You can enable dual pane via menu.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 03:26 PM »
If you weren't obviously wanting a WinGUI, I'd have suggested ZTreeWin.  Otherwise, all the best suggestions have already been suggested  8)  FWIW, here are two more donationwares/freewares:
Both more or less portable.

AbteriX

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 03:36 PM »
here are two more

But no "customisable toolbar"

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 06:04 PM »
Have a look at freecommander XE. it does single pannel better than TC. And many other things too (hard to believe :) ).

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 09:41 PM »
XY:
come as single pane as default. You can enable dual pane via menu.
You can toggle single/dual pane view via a toolbar button or hotkey (F10) in XYplorer, as well as toggle between panes in single pane view .

Since XYplorer allows you to have multiple tabs within each pane, you effectively get two separate sets of multiple explorer environments, which you can toggle between, or show side-by-side if you have the screen space. The trick (which is not obvious), is to enable separate histories for each tab under Configuration\Advanced\Remember list settings per tab.

I personally find the multiple tabs in a single pane view much more flexible and intuitive than dual pane view, but one of the nice things about XYplorer is that you can customize nearly everything about it. You can also save and load settings, so you can easily set up different layouts for different environments or tasks.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 11:50 PM »
here are two more

But no "customisable toolbar"

A43 does have a toggle-able extra pane that has tabs for quicklaunch (for files) and bookmarks (for folders) and others.

Cubic Explorer has a bookmarks toolbar that should be customizable, but I can't figure it out ATM.
http://www.cubicreality.com/ce/
Otherwise, very nice for a single-paned File Manager.

Have a look at freecommander XE. it does single pannel better than TC. And many other things too (hard to believe :) ).
Freecommander can be run in single-pane mode, AND it has customizable toolbars:
http://www.freecomma...ustomToolbars_en.htm  :Thmbsup:

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 08:02 AM »
You could also checkout MultiCommander which is very configurable including custom scripts and much more. It is a two-pane explorer with tabs but you can switch to one pane and back. I've been testing MC and playing around with it for a few months now and I'm getting to like it.