ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

looking for a [i]single[/i] pane file manager

(1/3) > >>

Target:
I normally use TotalCommander, but my (W7) netbook doesn't really have the available screenspace to use it comfortably, so I'm looking for a single pane FM to use instead

I have been using Explorer++ which I rather like, but I've found it to be pretty unstable (It routinely crashes if I try to move too quickly, or if I try and customise the toolbars, or or or).  I haven't had the opportunity to take this up with the developer, but a new version has recently been released that may resolve some of this.

Pending the outcome of either of those activities I'm looking for suggestions on possible alternatives (worth noting I have a longstanding dislike of windows explorer :-[). 

I do have some specific requirements, ie it must be tabbed, and it must have a customisable toolbar so that I can add common apps/tools (I tend to use my FM as something of a dashboard)

I'm guessing this is possibly a fairly narrow field as it's the opposite of the consensus with respect to 'modern' file managers, but I'd be interested to see whats out there and what your experiences/opinions (if any) are

allen:
xyplorer meets your description quite perfectly.

Edit: it may be dual pane by default these days, I'm not sure. Either way, the second pane can be toggled.  The interface is tabbed and immensely customizable.

wraith808:
+1 on xyplorer.  Xplorer2 and Directory opus work for that also- just turn off the other pane.  But my choice is XYplorer, even though my day-to-day choice on my desktop/laptop is directory opus.

cyberdiva:
I was about to suggest Directory Opus, but I see wraith808 beat me to it, as well as offering other, perhaps more reasonably-priced suggestions.  But I'm just wondering--I have heard so many enthusiastic reports about Total Commander: are you sure that it doesn't have a way to toggle from double to single pane?

jgpaiva:
I also agree with Allen, you really should look into XYplorer. It has been designed as a single-pane file manager from the beginning (even though recent versions do have dual pane), and I also find it very fast and very stable.
I know you can also customize the toolbar, I just can't say with 100% certainty you can add buttons to launch applications. Still, if you can't, it has the "catalog" feature which does that (and a whole lot more) with the difference that it is typically located on the lower left of the app.

[edit]
I just checked the site, and it does have that feature. And it even supports drag+drop of files onto the button. Check here for more details.
Also, this 10.20 release apparently "was" made on 29-Aug-2011, which is 5 days from now. So as a bonus, you get a time-travelling program too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version