ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Cnet's Download.com and the installer scam

<< < (35/36) > >>

Jibz:
http://www.ghacks.net/2013/07/17/sourceforges-new-installer-bundles-program-downloads-with-adware/

If you have been downloading programs from SourceForge in the last days, you may have noticed that some do not provide you with direct downloads of the programs anymore. Instead, you download something called SourceForge Installer which bundles the software with third party offers used for monetization.
--- End quote ---

:wallbash:

skwire:
This is very disheartening.   :(

x16wda:
Instead, you download something called SourceForge Installer which bundles the software with third party offers used for monetization.
-Jibz (July 17, 2013, 10:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Would that be OpenSourceCandy?

Tinman57:
http://www.ghacks.net/2013/07/17/sourceforges-new-installer-bundles-program-downloads-with-adware/

If you have been downloading programs from SourceForge in the last days, you may have noticed that some do not provide you with direct downloads of the programs anymore. Instead, you download something called SourceForge Installer which bundles the software with third party offers used for monetization.
--- End quote ---

:wallbash:
-Jibz (July 17, 2013, 10:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Which is why I stay away from SourceForge.  I usually do a search to find the file on another site.  If I can't download it with my own downloader, I don't need it.  There are exceptions though, like for GOG.com.  Their downloader will allow for download resuming without having to get a new download authorization code, plus some other good features that's relevant to your account.

40hz:
There are exceptions though, like for GOG.com.  Their downloader will allow for download resuming without having to get a new download authorization code, plus some other good features that's relevant to your account.
-Tinman57 (July 17, 2013, 08:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 and a big huzzah for the people running GoG. :-* :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

How is it that those guys can "get it" so well -  and almost everyone else misses it by a mile.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version