topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Cnet's Download.com and the installer scam  (Read 117226 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Cnet's Download.com and the installer scam
« Reply #125 on: September 25, 2011, 04:59 AM »
Softpedia still provides a clean mirror for downloads at this time.

Screenshot - 9_25_2011 , 5_54_32 AM.png

I normally don't get my files from download sites, but the developer's site is currently unavailable, so I went looking for a mirror to get the program.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 05:00 AM by app103, Reason: forgot to attach image »

vlastimil

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: September 25, 2011, 06:16 AM »
Nothing tucows does surprises me. I do not bother adding my software there anymore. 8 months until they manage to approve a submission? The outrageous review fees (that apply to freeware too)? The offer to create a 30 second video review for several hundreds USDs? Tucows is a dying money machine. Let's ignore them...

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: September 25, 2011, 08:26 AM »
Nothing tucows does surprises me. I do not bother adding my software there anymore. 8 months until they manage to approve a submission? The outrageous review fees (that apply to freeware too)? The offer to create a 30 second video review for several hundreds USDs? Tucows is a dying money machine. Let's ignore them...

It doesn't really surprise me either, but I figured I'd add the info to this thread for the benefit of others. What Tucows has become is very sad. They used to be a great site about 10 years ago.

vlastimil

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2011, 08:51 AM »
OK, I appreciate the info. They used to be #1 years ago. I did not mean to imply that your post was not important, I just wanted to say that ignoring them is probably the best that can be done today. They have demonstrated that they only care about money and not about user experience multiple times.

bobdude11

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2011, 03:43 PM »
Their blasted installer requires admin permissions! That totally destroys the show for all portable tools

Good point.  all of my original installers are zip-compatible and can simply be unzipped and used portably.  The CNet installer destroys this.

The absolute worst part about this CNet travesty is that users will blame the authors for this bundled crap, assuming that the authors have purposefully wrapped their software in the CNet wrapper in exchange for financial gain.

Personally, I have never blamed the developer. I saw it for what it is - a way to extort money from users. I never knew about the backend extortion. Maybe we should approach CNET with a RICO act charge ...  :D

In any event, I wanted to let EVERY developer on here know that, hopefully speaking for all of us, users that are not developers (or aspiring to be one - at 50 it may be too late for me... go! go on! leave me! I'm done for ... :D:D) very much appreciate what you all do and I use several programs on a daily basis (all mousers right now it seems - clipboard help+spell, screenshot captor, dcupdater). There is so much available on this site, I am still going through and trying everything. I test them for a week or so and if I don't use them at least three times during the week, I remove them. Not because they are bad programs. To the contrary, I have found all of them tested to be excellent. The ones I don't use, prove to be so because of the way I use my computers. they just don't fit my usage style. But keep in mind, I am still going through all of them and I know I will find more I can use.

When I can, I donate to the authors.

All I can say (pardon the diatribe), is that I hope you all continue to provide your apps and don't let this little CNET fiasco deter or discourage you.

LibertyToad

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2011, 04:38 PM »
I'm configuring a new laptop and just ran into this CNet nonsense.  I won't download from them anymore.  Who wants an extra download step to get in the way?  Bad move.

jojo99

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2011, 08:12 PM »
I installed the new version of KM Player the other day.  Even though I am 100% sure that I unchecked the request to install the ASK toolbar, the toolbar got installed anyway!  Luckily, it could be removed by the add/remove applet.  You can't trust anyone these days....

search53

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: September 25, 2011, 10:03 PM »
NINJA EDIT: According to the FAQ linked above, registered users still can get the original installer. The rest can go... grab the installer from the developer site themselves.

via Slashdot

If at all possible I NEVER download a program from anywhere other than the developer's web site. What I find disturbing is the fact that all too often the developer's Download link points right back to CNet.

So... that's when I verify that I'm signed in to Cnet so I can get their "Direct Download link."

What I found annoying involved the above example. You can't even install VLC without an internet link. This requirement is understandable in an installer for a program like a browser - where you can't begin to use the program without an internet connection. In a media player, this is unacceptable. The reason I WANTED a media player was so that I'd have something to do when my laptop isn't within range of a hotspot. Unfortunately I had to find one in order to install it.

rokarge

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: September 26, 2011, 10:28 AM »
It bothered me so much until I refused to download from them after two experiences.  I simply googled the program and found it somewhere else and downloaded it from there.  Whatever possessed them to do such a dumb thing??

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #134 on: September 27, 2011, 12:16 AM »
Just so you guys know, vendors who opt-out (as I did) no longer have their software mirrored at CNET. Instead, it redirects back to your server, at least as best I can tell.

They also recently sent out a survey to all vendors, asking their opinions on this toolbar bundle. The one thing that was clear was that they have no plans to remove it completely.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2011, 01:13 AM »
Softpedia still provides a clean mirror for downloads at this time.

+1 for Softpedia. I've favored them for a while now. They seem to have the most up-to-date changelogs too.

I've stopped downloading from Cnet. Ended up there a couple of times anyway because the download links from some authors' sites take you there. I'd rather they hosted their files with more respectable services... (Rapidshare or Hotfile.)  :)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2011, 08:58 AM »
They also recently sent out a survey to all vendors, asking their opinions on this toolbar bundle. The one thing that was clear was that they have no plans to remove it completely.

I received this email survey and sent back a rather scathing reply.

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #137 on: September 27, 2011, 09:01 AM »

I received this email survey and sent back a rather scathing reply.

Me too. Did you notice how they clearly had no intent of removing the bundle, but instead were trying to find out ways to keep it?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #138 on: September 27, 2011, 01:47 PM »
Me too. Did you notice how they clearly had no intent of removing the bundle, but instead were trying to find out ways to keep it?

Yep.  That email was what should have been sent out to everybody, as a courtesy, before they went ahead and wrapped everything without consent.  FWIW, I didn't receive any sort of reply after I sent my scathing one.   :)

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #139 on: September 27, 2011, 02:18 PM »
Me neither, I don't think they intended to reply to us though ;p

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #140 on: October 01, 2011, 08:05 PM »
From PcWinTech's Facebook Page

Brothersoft.com has gone the same path as Cnet and now has all their downloads as toolbar installers. Just like I did with Cnet I have asked them to remove every one of my programs. This is a good reason why I use majorgeeks.com as my main mirror. They treat users right.

http://www.facebook.com/PcWinTechFanPage

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #141 on: October 01, 2011, 08:06 PM »
Not really surprised.. as I said, CNET set the standard. They had a moral obligation as the largest download site.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 08:41 PM by db90h »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #142 on: October 01, 2011, 09:57 PM »
I'd rather they hosted their files with more respectable services... (Rapidshare or Hotfile.)  :)

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA~! ;D

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #143 on: October 01, 2011, 10:43 PM »
Brothersoft.com has gone the same path

Thanks, cmpm.  I've sent Brothersoft a nasty-gram as well.   :mad:

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #144 on: October 01, 2011, 10:50 PM »
The smarter would be to do as others are, capitalize on being one of the few remaining download sites who has not sold out. Users appreciate that -- especially in a download site you are 'trusting' to get your software, and perhaps take recommendations from.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #145 on: October 02, 2011, 12:13 AM »
I'd rather they hosted their files with more respectable services... (Rapidshare or Hotfile.)

At least developers will make money per download from such sites. As of now these leech sites are returning - 0 traffic and 0 % money in return.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #146 on: October 02, 2011, 12:50 AM »
The smarter would be to do as others are, capitalize on being one of the few remaining download sites who has not sold out. Users appreciate that -- especially in a download site you are 'trusting' to get your software, and perhaps take recommendations from.

+1 - devs & users need to focus on promoting solid services like Softpedia which haven't sold out (yet, anyway.) It'd be nice to see sites like DC proactively endorse these services. Far more effective than complaining to deaf ears...

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #147 on: October 02, 2011, 03:51 AM »
I had forgotten about the Cnet problem and I was in a hurry the other day, when I downloaded something from Cnet. I wasn't careful enough in my hurried clicking. When I started the install file that I had downloaded, I realised that it wasn't the installer for the program that I had wanted, but the installer for Cnets proprietary downloader. It was going to install lots of adware crap that I didn't want, by default. So I killed the process, expunged the file and got the download from somewhere else, making a mental note never to go to Cnet again to download anything.

I think Cnet have shot themselves in the foot.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2011, 04:11 AM »
Brothersoft.com has gone the same path

Thanks, cmpm.  I've sent Brothersoft a nasty-gram as well.   :mad:

Speaking of BrotherSoft -- even if you haven't signed up, your software might still be listed on some of these sites as if you had.

Some years back I got an e-mail welcoming me to BrotherSoft with a link to click to verify my account. I naturally assumed some nutter had signed up using my e-mail address and contacted their support to tell them. They replied that one of their editors had created an account for me and added my software.

The same happened with SoftPedia, though they actually said in the e-mail that they had created an account for me and I was free to use it or not. I think BrotherSoft might have changed their method since then as well.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #149 on: October 02, 2011, 04:41 AM »
Isn't this some kind of obvious infringement? Can one just put up a site and just start hosting other people's intellectual property (software/music/whatever) without any sort of repercussion?