ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Cnet's Download.com and the installer scam

<< < (23/36) > >>

db90h:
I have complained about this many times, going back as far as 8 months. Every time one of these sites is taken down, another springs up. In many ways, what CNET did was legitimize their business model - making them much harder to deal with in the future. Further, the open source software may not be able to object like shareware authors, depending on the license.

Renegade:
Hmmm... I wonder when Softpedia and Brothersoft will follow...

40hz:
I have complained about this many times, going back as far as 8 months. Every time one of these sites is taken down, another springs up. In many ways, what CNET did was legitimize their business model - making them much harder to deal with in the future.
-db90h (September 05, 2011, 01:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm...

Why does the word 'anonymous' start popping into my head all of a sudden?  ;)

mouser:
After CNet downloader, we have a new brand in this market - softonic download manager. Forcing users to download installer.
--- End quote ---

I can't tell from that link what is going on with any softonic download manager.. does anyone have any more information on this?  If they are doing something similar to cnet without a way to opt out we need to start protesting it.

Stoic Joker:
I have complained about this many times, going back as far as 8 months. Every time one of these sites is taken down, another springs up. In many ways, what CNET did was legitimize their business model - making them much harder to deal with in the future.
-db90h (September 05, 2011, 01:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm...

Why does the word 'anonymous' start popping into my head all of a sudden?  ;)
-40hz (September 06, 2011, 05:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Now now ... You're supposed to be the (Jimny Cricket) tolerance and follow channels guy. Renegade & I are the anarchists. We have to keep the roles straight, or the whole world - as we know it - will crumble.

:D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version