ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Cnet's Download.com and the installer scam

<< < (4/36) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
It seems I was overly optimistic in predicting that the outrage over this would force cnet to immediately stop this practice :(

I'm not sure what we can do to put a top to this other than continuing to express outrage everywhere we can and demand that our software is removed from CNet's services, and cause enough heat that CNet realizes how badly their reputation is going to be damaged if they do not reverse course.

The response to my email to them telling them to remove all donationcoder software was to tell me to purchase their premium service if i wanted to remove their bundled installer crap.  In other words this is one big extortion racket.
-mouser (August 23, 2011, 09:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Legal threats might be the next step.

app103:
The response to my email to them telling them to remove all donationcoder software was to tell me to purchase their premium service if i wanted to remove their bundled installer crap.  In other words this is one big extortion racket.
--- End quote ---

Wait a minute...they won't remove your software from their site?

Legal threats might be the next step.
-Stephen66515 (August 23, 2011, 09:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

I agree. Sounds like you might have to send them a DMCA takedown notice to get them to comply with your wishes for removal.

wraith808:
The response to my email to them telling them to remove all donationcoder software was to tell me to purchase their premium service if i wanted to remove their bundled installer crap.  In other words this is one big extortion racket.
--- End quote ---

Wait a minute...they won't remove your software from their site?
-app103 (August 23, 2011, 09:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think it's a matter of it going to a person that didn't understand your request, or an automated reply system.  What e-mail address did you send it to?

vlastimil:
At least you got a response to your email, mouser. I got nothing so far  >:(

Their blasted installer requires admin permissions! That totally destroys the show for all portable tools  :(

----

snapfiles is one of the better ones, though they sometimes do not review/approve a program for years - I even tried to pay for their express review (years ago), but they did not review it anyway. I got my money back after asking for them, but no explanation. Their approve process is not transparent. Maybe my software was competing with owner's friend software or something like that. Who know?

I did not know about waakoopa, it looks like a nice alternative to software.informer.com  :Thmbsup:

40hz:
I think a simple e-mail to their legal department informing them you do not agree to their revised terms of service and request your software immediately be removed from their site should be sufficient. If it isn't, there's always the DMCA notification route.

You might, however, want to be just a tiny bit discreet as to how heavy you get with them right up front. It's going to take some time before the degree of outrage registers with those in charge. And possibly a little longer before they realize the obligatory stalling moves and spin doctoring aren't going to sway people towards their story.  So when they do abandon this practice (which I'm sure they eventually will) you may want to be listed with them again. Making legal threats may make them think twice about letting your app back in.

Just something to think about if you're a developer.

Of course, if you don't care, by all means have at them.  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version