ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Cnet's Download.com and the installer scam

<< < (31/36) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Not sure of the legal situation but it is legal to promote any other product even though you didn't make it - including selling stuff otherwise shops would not exist. There is no requirement for a shop to have a contact with the holder of the intellectual property rights.

I suppose the simplest way to make this clear to downloaders is to clearly list the sites that you have authorised to distribute your software as part of the installation package as soon as the installer fires up and make it clear that if they got the package from another website then that site is not authorised and you cannot guarantee the software does not contain spyware or other viruses and malware. Then there would be no incentive for other sites to host the software given that it makes them look like thieves and pirates.

The big problem is that users assume that software authors are happy and support the approach of CNET and Brothersoft etc. in this because their products are listed there. I was not aware that these sites effectively steal products to promote their own cashflow.

Jibz:
Just for reference, I dug out the e-mails from 2009, and here are some excerpts:

Dear [myemailaddress]:
Welcome to BrotherSoft.com!
Thank you for registering with BrotherSoft.com.
This is a sticky note for your email archives

Please click here to confirm your membership.-BrotherSoft
--- End quote ---

This was the first e-mail I received, it looked like a regular signup e-mail, so I figured it was somebody signing up with my name and sent them this e-mail to ask them to fix it:

I have received a registration confirmation e-mail (sent to [myemailaddress]) along with four e-mails about programs being 'released' on your site.

I have not registered on your site, so somebody must have used my e-mail address and then submitted my software.

Could you please remove the account.-Me
--- End quote ---

Their reply was:

Thank you for your feedback.
Our editor found your software is very good so added them to our site.
As you know our PR is 8 and the alexa rank is about 300. and your software are public on our site is free. So it is a big help for your company.
Please visit http://author.brothersoft.com and login ,manger your software by yourself.-BrotherSoft
--- End quote ---

I am no lawyer, but I would imagine signing somebody else up for an account using their name would be illegal in some way, especially since I am pretty sure you would have to agree with some terms of service in the process? Of course laws differ by country, so who knows :).

mahesh2k:
As you know our PR is 8 and the alexa rank is about 300. and your software are public on our site is free. So it is a big help for your company.
--- End quote ---

Luring kids with chocolate eh ?  :down:

PR8 means "jacks****" and alexa means null void if you're stealing traffic from developers to leech for your own search engine benefit and to feed surfers with these installers. 

nosh:
Luring kids with chocolate eh ? 
--- End quote ---

The kids are already in the van. All doors are locked.  :)

sazzen:
Pulling his software does not have to negatively affect CNet at all for it to be worthwhile. Mouser is protecting *his* reputation and customer relationships by doing this.
-JavaJones (August 24, 2011, 07:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's the thing -- I'm not sure it will. Are the people that download from CNet likely to notice? Would it adversely affect an author's reputation? Would it improve it? After all, having a CNet wrapper could be interpreted as a CNet endorsement and could elevate some authors' software in some user opinions. Dunno.

I know what I think, and I've read what others here think, but seriously -- we're not representative of the larger public. Most people here are way too technically savvy to be considered 'regular users'.
-Renegade (August 24, 2011, 07:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm a tech dummy. Long time daily visitor to CNET. Used to spend hours (a few years ago) on the site digging through all the yummy software.

I can't remember how long ago it was, couple of years maybe, it all started sliding downhill. My searches (which turn up decent results everywhere else) give me nothing but odd suggestions, completely unrelated to the type of application I was looking for. That was only the first thing I noticed. I no longer look for software on CNET. I will absolutely not download anything. I've noticed the reviewers and bloggers I was used to are no longer there.

Several times, I've emailed them, or commented - where it can be seen publicly - about the breakdown of their website. No. They haven't fixed anything on my account. However, you guys should know that people are noticing. We are reading about it -gHacks for instance - and we aren't  downloading. I go to MajorGeeks, SnapFiles, File Hippo, etc., etc.

Bravo, Mouser, for removing your programs!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version