Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 22, 2014, 10:39:31 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2011! Download 30+ custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Problem: I can't understand how to get a W7-64 machine into an XP-32 network  (Read 4523 times)
Deozaan
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2011, 09:14:38 AM »

Regain control over your files by changing ownership would be a way to go, but when you place the disk back in the Win7 PC you will expect problems (differences between the NT filesystems from win7 and XP).

How do I change the ownership? This HDD isn't going back into a Win7 PC since it is an IDE drive and I don't have any IDE ports on my new mobo.

That's not a permissions issue. The Win 7 librarys use a file system link type that XP can't follow/understand. If you just go to the folder on the drive that the link points to, you should be able to access it from there.

I wasn't using the Library link to get to the files. I was at the actual location on the HDD. I have attempted to copy over the network and even locally to an external USB HDD but it tells me I don't have permission or access is denied or something similar.

I can see the files just fine, and I think I can even use them without a problem (though to be honest I'm not sure I've tried yet) but for some reason I can't copy them to another HDD.

Deozaan
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2011, 09:15:11 AM »

Regain control over your files by changing ownership would be a way to go, but when you place the disk back in the Win7 PC you will expect problems (differences between the NT filesystems from win7 and XP).

How do I change the ownership? This HDD isn't going back into a Win7 PC since it is an IDE drive and I don't have any IDE ports on my new mobo.

I've got a question related to this topic:

I took a (non-OS) hard drive from a Windows 7 machine and put it into a Windows XP machine. Now I'm trying to copy the files off that Win XP machine's drive onto a different Windows 7 machine's HDD. But I don't have permission to access the files because they were in a "Library" on the old Windows 7 machine.

How do I remove the limited permission settings and allow myself access to my own data again?

Thanks!

That's not a permissions issue. The Win 7 librarys use a file system link type that XP can't follow/understand. If you just go to the folder on the drive that the link points to, you should be able to access it from there.

I wasn't using the Library link to get to the files. I was at the actual location on the HDD. I have attempted to copy over the network and even locally to an external USB HDD but it tells me I don't have permission or access is denied or something similar.

I can see the files just fine, and I think I can even use them without a problem (though to be honest I'm not sure I've tried yet) but for some reason I can't copy them to another HDD.

Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2011, 12:00:09 PM »

Strange really, if you're on a Win 7 box with Administrative rights it should just ask you if you want to give yourself permissions to access the file (if the drive is connected locally). Over the wire it could be a share permissions issue also.

Do you have a copy of the Trinity Rescue Kit? I frequently use it to skip around permissions by selecting share all with no security when it boots. Then grabbing anything wanted off the autoloaded Samba server. Just pulled 65GB of video's off the sales manager's laptop with it this morning (don't tell him... (hehe)).
Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2011, 02:39:46 PM »

Do you have a copy of the Trinity Rescue Kit? I frequently use it to skip around permissions by selecting share all with no security when it boots. Then grabbing anything wanted off the autoloaded Samba server. Just pulled 65GB of video's off the sales manager's laptop with it this morning (don't tell him... (hehe)).

Thank you! This seems to be working. Currently copying over ~260GB of data at about 9MB/s. This is gonna take a while. . .

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.036s | Server load: 0 ]