topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Problem: I can't understand how to get a W7-64 machine into an XP-32 network  (Read 16243 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Regain control over your files by changing ownership would be a way to go, but when you place the disk back in the Win7 PC you will expect problems (differences between the NT filesystems from win7 and XP).

How do I change the ownership? This HDD isn't going back into a Win7 PC since it is an IDE drive and I don't have any IDE ports on my new mobo.

That's not a permissions issue. The Win 7 librarys use a file system link type that XP can't follow/understand. If you just go to the folder on the drive that the link points to, you should be able to access it from there.

I wasn't using the Library link to get to the files. I was at the actual location on the HDD. I have attempted to copy over the network and even locally to an external USB HDD but it tells me I don't have permission or access is denied or something similar.

I can see the files just fine, and I think I can even use them without a problem (though to be honest I'm not sure I've tried yet) but for some reason I can't copy them to another HDD.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Regain control over your files by changing ownership would be a way to go, but when you place the disk back in the Win7 PC you will expect problems (differences between the NT filesystems from win7 and XP).

How do I change the ownership? This HDD isn't going back into a Win7 PC since it is an IDE drive and I don't have any IDE ports on my new mobo.

I've got a question related to this topic:

I took a (non-OS) hard drive from a Windows 7 machine and put it into a Windows XP machine. Now I'm trying to copy the files off that Win XP machine's drive onto a different Windows 7 machine's HDD. But I don't have permission to access the files because they were in a "Library" on the old Windows 7 machine.

How do I remove the limited permission settings and allow myself access to my own data again?

Thanks!

That's not a permissions issue. The Win 7 librarys use a file system link type that XP can't follow/understand. If you just go to the folder on the drive that the link points to, you should be able to access it from there.

I wasn't using the Library link to get to the files. I was at the actual location on the HDD. I have attempted to copy over the network and even locally to an external USB HDD but it tells me I don't have permission or access is denied or something similar.

I can see the files just fine, and I think I can even use them without a problem (though to be honest I'm not sure I've tried yet) but for some reason I can't copy them to another HDD.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Strange really, if you're on a Win 7 box with Administrative rights it should just ask you if you want to give yourself permissions to access the file (if the drive is connected locally). Over the wire it could be a share permissions issue also.

Do you have a copy of the Trinity Rescue Kit? I frequently use it to skip around permissions by selecting share all with no security when it boots. Then grabbing anything wanted off the autoloaded Samba server. Just pulled 65GB of video's off the sales manager's laptop with it this morning (don't tell him... (hehe)).

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Do you have a copy of the Trinity Rescue Kit? I frequently use it to skip around permissions by selecting share all with no security when it boots. Then grabbing anything wanted off the autoloaded Samba server. Just pulled 65GB of video's off the sales manager's laptop with it this morning (don't tell him... (hehe)).

Thank you! This seems to be working. Currently copying over ~260GB of data at about 9MB/s. This is gonna take a while. . .