ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What Happened to Genie Backup Manager?

<< < (2/5) > >>

tomos:
I already use SFFS, but as I said those aren't backup programs.
-J-Mac (August 22, 2011, 08:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure are you saying Jim that SFFS is not a backup programme (?)
The name "Super Flexible File Synchronizer" is misleading as it is a sync and backup app - I think it does everything important at this stage (monitoring, partial file backup, etc etc.)

rjbull:
Genie and BU4A are "backups"; SyncBack is a sync program, basically creates a mirror.-J-Mac (August 22, 2011, 08:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
You mean, backup as in, keeping multiple earlier versions?  You're right, SyncBack doesn't seem to do that, even though their Web page clearly says it's a backup program.  It does seem a good synchroniser, though.

Mostly I've felt file sync was good enough for what I wanted, augmented by proper multi-generation backups of really critical things like KeePass files.  I can see circumstances where a real backup would be acutely necessary...

mwb1100:
You mean, backup as in, keeping multiple earlier versions?  You're right, SyncBack doesn't seem to do that
-rjbull (August 25, 2011, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

SyncBack does support keeping multiple versions (maybe the free variant doesn't - I don't know).

rjbull:
SyncBack does support keeping multiple versions (maybe the free variant doesn't - I don't know).-mwb1100 (August 25, 2011, 07:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
It does?  I missed that!   :-[  Thanks, I'll have to investigate!

40hz:
I've had so many bad experiences with supposedly "good" and "verified" backups that I've given up on them for most purposes.

I will sync. I will mirror. I will version. I will copy. I will image...

But anything that backs up files in a format that isn't usable without the utility that created them is no longer welcome in my toolkit.

Classic backup utilities made sense when we were using tape drives. Because you needed to use compression and incremental strategies to save space and minimize wear & tear on your DAT or DLT media. But with fast and reliable hard drives dropping below $80 for 1TB of storage, doing 'incrementals' or using compression isn't worth the grief involved. If you run short of space, just buy an additional drive (or two  :mrgreen:) next time NewEgg puts them on sale.

If you do want a classic backup utility (with some nice modern touches) try Cobain Backup. Cobain is the only backup tool I never experienced a problem with. Which is more than I can say for some very expensive and highly recommended commercial programs I've used.
 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version