ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Go dark for IE - October 26, 2012

<< < (7/7)

iphigenie:
I can't count how many times some stupid browser detection rules caught me as collateral damage - either too new a version (after a new release), or Opera etc. I typically tweet how lame they are, and never go back.

First, if you are going to block IE 8 then you ought to block older Firefox, early chrome, people who have older smartphones (how dare they not buy a new one every 6 months!) and pretty much every release of Safari. And you probably will end up blocking people on Linux or BSD by mistake - or people using secure/solid IE derivative browsers. And everyone on XP that can't run FF or chrome. That's a lot of people to call names and antagonise.

And blocking people on older computers might make sense if you're selling only to the digital crowd, but even then, be careful. You might be surprised what people are using outside the "i have the latest computer to impress my friends" crowd.

If you can't put in the effort to support ie 6, 7, 8 (or opera) then that is fine. Understandable considering some of the hacks on has to do, the knowledge it requires and all the testing effort. But you don't have to be an ass about it and cast judgment on people and rub their noses in it.

And if it is to put some of the annoying new features of modern web design that make a site hard to use, navigate and impossible to bookmark, well then, I have no sympathy for you.

Websites ought to be designed for their users, not used for their designer to compete in the cool leagues of featuritis...

oops, soapbox alert. getting off

KynloStephen66515:
I can't count how many times some stupid browser detection rules caught me as collateral damage - either too new a version (after a new release), or Opera etc. I typically tweet how lame they are, and never go back.

First, if you are going to block IE 8 then you ought to block older Firefox, early chrome, people who have older smartphones (how dare they not buy a new one every 6 months!) and pretty much every release of Safari. And you probably will end up blocking people on Linux or BSD by mistake - or people using secure/solid IE derivative browsers. And everyone on XP that can't run FF or chrome. That's a lot of people to call names and antagonise.

And blocking people on older computers might make sense if you're selling only to the digital crowd, but even then, be careful. You might be surprised what people are using outside the "i have the latest computer to impress my friends" crowd.

If you can't put in the effort to support ie 6, 7, 8 (or opera) then that is fine. Understandable considering some of the hacks on has to do, the knowledge it requires and all the testing effort. But you don't have to be an ass about it and cast judgment on people and rub their noses in it.

And if it is to put some of the annoying new features of modern web design that make a site hard to use, navigate and impossible to bookmark, well then, I have no sympathy for you.

Websites ought to be designed for their users, not used for their designer to compete in the cool leagues of featuritis...

oops, soapbox alert. getting off
-iphigenie (August 21, 2012, 03:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

I couldn't agree more...I can't tell you how many times I have seen "You are using an outdated browser" or "IE6 ALERT", when using the latest versions of Opera (I update as soon as its available) - Even when using FF and Chrome, I have run into that, because people who like to call themselves "Web Designers" (Irritating kids who use dreamweaver and steal code from around to web to hack a crappy site together) use code they think "Only blocks IE6" and actually blocks anybody using ANYTHING OTHER THAN ONE SPECIFIC BROWSER...

Irritates the utter hell out of me...and at the moment, I am highly strung and sleep deprived, so could go on a rant for many many hours, so I shall shush now  8)

yksyks:
I was thinking more about all the poor public schools—at least in our country—that can’t afford anything new and are desperately grateful for some rich bank donating them a couple of PCs freshly recovered from a trash bin. So they are condemned to WinXP, thus IE8, as usually there’s no one capable or willing to install something more “civilized” on all the school machines.

Well, s**t happens on that day, just hundreds of upset children.

In the end, it might be a good lesson for the pupils. At least they would see for themselves that Internet is the same as the real society—full of hatred, bigots, and freaks of all kind. Definitely not the intended outcome, but if that helps them to get more careful in cyberspace, then well done.

TaoPhoenix:
Irritates the utter hell out of me...and at the moment, I am highly strung and sleep deprived, so could go on a rant for many many hours, so I shall shush now  8)
-Stephen66515 (August 21, 2012, 04:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

No no you're doing it wrong! Rants for many hours can make $! Contact me for Talk Show Opportunities!
Signed, "Your Consultant"  8)

P.S. See me in the basement for an update on THAT topic!  :tellme:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version