ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

Feature request: Web clipping, permanent note keeping

<< < (7/8) > >>

IainB:
@rjbull: Well, I don't know about any of that. All I have done is my level best in terms of trying to clarify the requirements and what probably needs to be done to meet those requirements, and removing any ambiguity about them - as much as possible. Whether CHS is somehow "forked" in its development lifecycle at this stage, or stays as is, will probably be up to @mouser and his available time and his preferred direction for CHS/PIM/TFLM.
This doesn't look like a "commercial" exercise to me, though I could be wrong, of course. Do you think it may need to made into a commercial exercise, so that it could be profitable?

rjbull:
Do you think it may need to made into a commercial exercise, so that it could be profitable?-IainB (September 05, 2011, 10:32 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, that's up to mouser, who doesn't seem supremely commercially-minded  :)  But if it's going to be the King PIM, and will take work, effort and expenditure on tools and libraries to maintain, then it could command a fair price.  Of course, there are so many PIMs out there already.

Have you looked at NANY 2012 Pledge & Early Beta: Ethervane Echo?  A new clipboard extender with Virtual views with user-defined sort order and filters

--- End quote ---

IainB:
Thanks, no, I had not looked at Echo until you pointed it out to me just now.
Why would I want to use that? It looks like it's "just" a clipboard proggy - a good one too (a Ditto duplicate) - and I don't need one of those any more, as, earlier this year, I started to commit my data to a rather good one - one which also happens to be a sort of hybrid PIM. It's called CHS.
I haven't seen anything as close as this to matching my peculiar needs since the early '90s.

rjbull:
Offer a configuration option to include the URL on a line at the bottom of a clip, so that when you want to paste the clip into a document, the URL automatically comes along with the text, without needing any extra action?-rjbull (August 21, 2011, 03:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

mouser, I've had a supplementary thought.  I know it's possible to export from CHS, but only into a CSV file and only, as far as I can see, the entire list in the current folder.  Please can it be made possible to only export marked clips, and in a user-specified tagged-field format?

I'm thinking of something like the following, with the tagged fields based on the display columns, but allowing the user to (a) specify whether the tag is open (single tag at the beginning of a field) or closed (separate tags to start and end the field, like HTML or BBcode) and (b) give the tag a different name from the CHS column, as appropriate:

Tags Open[X] Closed [ ]
Column      Tag
Excerpt     {Title:}
Notes       {URL:}

Tags Open[ ] Closed [X]
Column      Tag - start       Tag - end
Excerpt     [Title]           [/Title]
Notes       [URL:]            [/URL]

It might be necessary to allow only so many characters of the Excerpt field, or direct editing of it, to give more sensible titles/headings.

This should help with the following:
* Manipulation of the text with scripting programs like AWK, PERL, REXX, etc.
* Modification of the text with editor/word processor macros for formatting for presentation.
* Merging of the data with data from other sources.
* Import into other data storage systems, e.g. DB/TextWorks® Here I'm thinking, perhaps too much, of the job I used to do but do no longer, where this would have been extremely useful.

Quick (probably) request: currently, when you export, CHS automatically pops up Notepad containing the export file.  Please can it optionally not do that?

mouser:
what if i export to xml format -- so presumably any number of conversion tools could post-process the export file.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version