ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

Feature request: Web clipping, permanent note keeping

<< < (2/8) > >>

mouser:
I don't think you need to add a Tag feature to CHS. The functionality is already there in virtual forlders. You might need to dress it up a bit is all.
--- End quote ---

You can also already enable the "keywords" column in the grid and add keyword tags to any clip just by typing in the grid.  The quick search filter will scan this field.  Same goes for the "Notes" column.

(To hid or show columns, click on the tiny icon that looks like = on the far left of the column header; note also you can save and load different layouts of panels and this includes the selection of which columns are visible).

mouser:
My argument against reviving the idea of CHS as a general note-taking tool is simply that I don't think it performs this function particularly elegantly from a user interface perspective.  It's just too clunky for this, and to schizophrenic in terms of trying to provide both clipboard and note-taking functions.

Although the underlying operations are very similar, the look and feel demanded by the two different tasks seem too much in conflict.

So I'm fairly decided that CHS should not try to be made into a general audience note taking tool.

But I am willing to entertain adding limited specific functions to the program that people thing would serve a real need, and might saddle the two worlds.

rjbull:
I don't know SQL, and don't really understand tags or CHS's virtual folders, so I hope that the more useful features can be accessed without writing code...  I'd like to have at least simple Boolean logic.

As for OCR, that sounds to me a step too far.  That is, a lot of effort required to build something that wouldn't be used all that often.  But as CHS now stores images, and can accept external tools, is there any way of adding an OCR program as an external tool?

IainB:
@mouser:
You can also already enable the "keywords" column in the grid and add keyword tags to any clip just by typing in the grid.  The quick search filter will scan this field.  Same goes for the "Notes" column.
-mouser (August 23, 2011, 08:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks, yes, I had been experimenting with the Keywords and Notes columns.
I think Keywords is for meta-data only and Notes is more reference detail (e.g., contains source URLinformation of images clipped from the web) and useful added notes relevant to the clip text/image.
By the way, I think these are both very useful and easy-to-use features.  :Thmbsup:

Is there some way I can select several clip records in the grid and edit the Keywords field for them all at one go, with the same keyword string (overwriting what may already be in that field)?
If not, then this would be a new requirement from me, I think.    :)

(To hid or show columns, click on the tiny icon that looks like = on the far left of the column header; note also you can save and load different layouts of panels and this includes the selection of which columns are visible).
-mouser (August 23, 2011, 08:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks, yes, I have been experimenting with the column selector and am learning how to use "Save as Preset" to make the columns that I thus select "stick" for when I next open the grid display.
By the way, I think the column selector and presets make a very useful and easy-to-use feature.  :Thmbsup:

IainB:
@mouser:
My argument against reviving the idea of CHS as a general note-taking tool is simply that I don't think it performs this function particularly elegantly from a user interface perspective.  It's just too clunky for this, and to schizophrenic in terms of trying to provide both clipboard and note-taking functions.

Although the underlying operations are very similar, the look and feel demanded by the two different tasks seem too much in conflict.

So I'm fairly decided that CHS should not try to be made into a general audience note taking tool.

But I am willing to entertain adding limited specific functions to the program that people thing would serve a real need, and might saddle the two worlds.
-mouser (August 23, 2011, 08:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
Good, and thankyou for not rejecting my suggestions out of hand. I gather from the above that you have a relatively open mind about it anyway - that is, seeing as you are happy to contemplate how CHS could straddle the two worlds.

I think I am qualified by experience as a profficient PIM user to make some valid comment here.
Experience:

* I became an "expert user" of the first PIM that I started to use in 1989/1990. It was Lotus Agenda, a relational database tool that provided for hierarchical (or other arrangement) note-taking and reporting (output to printer). That meant you could use it to produce highly structured document hardcopy from different on-screen views of data, as displayed on-screen. It was so flexible that you could make it do pretty much whatever you needed, but to do so required a degree of understanding of logic that probably made it unappealing to the greater majority (a bit like the later Zoot.) It was/is a brilliant tool (I still use it a bit.).   :Thmbsup:
* I became an "expert user" of Ashton-Tate's Framework III, IV and V - a DOS-based PIM that enabled the creation of files and documents which could be a mixture of text, spreadsheet and database. It was a brilliant tool (though I no longer use it.)   :Thmbsup:
* I became an "expert user" of the PIM Info Select. I stuck with it because it was pretty good - the best of those that I had been able to find. I still use it quite a lot, but have stuck with version 8 (current version is 10).  It is an excellent product, though currently it seems to be stranded in the design doldrums.  :Thmbsup:
* I have trialled 50 or more would-be PIMs, Wikis, Sticky Notes and Note-takers, but they all have major limitations as PIMs - with the exception of InfoQube and Zoot, but these too are constrained in their design.
So, though you may say, as you do, above, that you feel that CHS does not perform the function of a general note-taking tool particularly elegantly from a user interface perspective, I would suggest that it does everything else so well that the user interface perspective is the last thing you need to worry about at this stage. Of those 50+ PIMs I have trialled, some were rubbish, and some had very nice UIs, but all (excepting InfoQube and Zoot) just didn't cut the mustard as a truly flexible PIM - including Info Select.   :(

For years I have been trying to find a proper and modern replacement for Lotus Agenda, and I had just about given up hope and was wondering which modern programming language I would need to learn to carry out the development myself, when you belatedly enabled the Virtual Folders feature that you had already built-in to CHS.
When you did that, I started to play with Virtual Folders. The best expression I can think of is that "I nearly fell off my chair with surprise" at the potential power of the Virtual Folders concept and using SQL as implemented in CHS - it was looking a lot like Lotus Agenda v2011!
Sure CHS is still in a developmental part of its life-cycle - or "a state of dynamic change" - but it already works rather well as a PIM, and is a superb clipping tool!   :Thmbsup:
That's why I have been trialling CHS as a PIM.

I would like to assist in the development and as a ß user, if possible.
My qualification for this are technical as well:

* I have developed programs or program modules in the past using:
* PAL (the ICL 1900 mainframe Program Assembly Language).
* FORTRAN 77 (FORmulaTRANslation) on DEC PDP15/30 minis and UNIVAC 1108 mainframe computers).
* Use of Logica's RAPPORT (FORTRAN-callable RDB subroutines)
* BASIC (Beginners' All-pyrpose Symbolic Instruction Code).
* Scripting languages.
* (and tinkered with Java script.)
* I am familiar with the development and application of a good deal of Windows-based technology.- but I have yet to learn to use SQL(*)! I am slowly learning that by trial-and-error, now.

*(Structured Query Language - a programming language designed for managing data in relational database management systems or "RDBMS".)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version