ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

Feature request: Web clipping, permanent note keeping

<< < (6/8) > >>

rjbull:
Oh, dear.  This is way over my head.  Quoting my OP: improving CHS as an application for keeping permanent notes, particularly when they're Web clips.
--- End quote ---
And that's all, really.  I'm certainly not going to read tomes on relational database theory.

On Edward de Bono, you might be interested in this quote:
"De Bono though is a child of the Enlightenment: he really believes that people can do better, and only shoddy thinking prevents them from so doing.  He has no idea that much inefficiency is deliberately caused by the power-hungry, paranoid, back-stabbing, glory-hunting, spiteful, grudge-bearing human beings who infest the world of organised work."
  -  Robin Potts, reviewing Edward de Bono's "Simplicity" in The Guardian, 5 Sept. 1998.

--- End quote ---

IainB:
@rjbull: Your requirements for:
...improving CHS as an application for keeping permanent notes, particularly when they're Web clips.
--- End quote ---
- are captured iin the draft of the provisional summary analysis of User Requirements for CHS

I have invested a fair bit of time in doing this, so I shall await @mouser's resonse. There are 21 or so items that he would need to review to see whether he is prepared to change CHS to meet the defined requirement.

I can't see that there's any need for you to "read tomes on relational database theory", though.
I might find that interesting, as the whole area of the use if IT for information management - and especiallly knowledge management - is something that I find quite absorbing, but it's not everybody's cup of tea. It would be as dry as dust for many people.

rjbull:
There are 21 or so items that he would need to review to see whether he is prepared to change CHS to meet the defined requirement.-IainB (September 03, 2011, 08:57 AM)
--- End quote ---
Be aware that there have been suggestions - not, I think, recently - that mouser should merge CHS with his other program, The Form Letter Machine.  That might present synergies, but it would more likely move CHS away from your requirements.

I can't see that there's any need for you to "read tomes on relational database theory", though.-IainB (September 03, 2011, 08:57 AM)
--- End quote ---
That's what you said you you were doing, in another thread!

the use if IT for information management - and especiallly knowledge management - is something that I find quite absorbing, but it's not everybody's cup of tea.-IainB (September 03, 2011, 08:57 AM)
--- End quote ---
Just as long as the IT staff truly understand end user requirements, rather than imposing a solution from above without consultation because "they know what the user wants."

IainB:
@rjbull:
1. Requirements: Your requirements are included in the User Requirements for CHS, and so are mine, but I have by no means expanded the requirements to fit all of the existing functionality that currently exists in CHS.
However, each requirement is shown where it matches a clipboard-type function, or a PIM-type function (there's a column for each function) or both. You could add a third column to reflect the Form Letter Machine-type application.
The spreadsheet can be used as quite a powerful tool to identify and define the specific user requirements. That's q good way to remove ambiguity.
@mouser will be able to easily identify from that which requirements he might not want to implement.

2. RDB theory: Sure, I am reading up an intro to this theory, but that's only to help me to understand more fully the technical aspects of CHS. I like to dig into a subject before I can feel that I more fully understand it. Currently I do not understand very much about how CHS works. I don't advocate that you or anyone else needs to read up on the theory though, unless you would like to.

3. IT comprehension of requirements: Good point. IT people are usually far removed from the users and do not usually have a good grasp of the users' business processes that tend to illustrate why their requirements are such-and-such.
That's why I provided the link to the post about a methodology for collecting user requirements, and I applied that method in building the spreadsheet.
If the IT people did not know what the CHS user wanted beforehand, they would know more by the time they had finished looking through the spreadsheet (assuming that the spreadsheet has been rigorously developed and "signed off" by users).

In my experience, it is a combination of poor method/rationale in confirming user requirements, coupled with arrogance and ignorance, that lead IT people to tend to impose a solution from above without consultation - that's what gives them the feeling that "they know what the user wants' ", I presume. It's irrational. I've seen it happen a lot of times, and I've had to help clear up the mess after it has happened.

rjbull:
@rjbull:
1. Requirements: Your requirements are included in the [...] @mouser will be able to easily identify from that which requirements he might not want to implement.-IainB (September 04, 2011, 11:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
Inconsistent, perhaps...  but while I don't feel too bad about asking mouser for "another little feature," or what seems to me a little one, I'm less comfortable about making this look like a big commercial project.  It's just one of mouser's personal projects: and just one of the ones he doesn't make any money on.  What mouser really needs to do is Spoilerfinish his Ph.D and
get well-paid work...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version