topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Why My Mom Bought an Android, Returned It, and Got an iPhone  (Read 34271 times)

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Hi from the a*** end of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Why My Mom Bought an Android, Returned It, and Got an iPhone
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2011, 05:29 PM »
I purchased a Desire, took it home, put in sim, made phone calls.
2 weeks later, I purchased an iphone 4 (for friend). Took it home, put in sim....but wait, to make a phone call I had to boot up computer, do a freaking 79Mb download, do other mumbo jumbo... THEN make a phone call. WTF????? Simple?

[OT: I also remember my first apple experience, on a machine touted as being so intuitive. I was quite happy to delete files by dragging them to the trash can, but couldn't figure out how to eject a disk. Someone suggested I drag the disk icon to the trash can...huh???...thats for DELETING. I never did get used to that. Not intuitive]

I like my desire, she likes her iphone. That's great, to each his/her own. We both happily tease each other about our choices.

When talking on her phone, her ear touching the phone predictably (every second phone call) puts me on hold, or something like that. I'd say her iphone "just works"...in a strange way, as she can't put her ear to the phone without negative consequences.
So far, ALL my android devices work simply and predictably UNLESS I choose to use them in a non simple way (rooting, installing extra "stuff" to push the envelope.)

I guess my point is that if your use is "non-demanding", all platforms are simple and work reliably. Hence I find it of little value to hear that i-stuff "just works" or works simply and predictably, as if other platforms don't.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2011, 08:23 PM »
As far as the ear touch thing, her proximity sensor must be on the blink- I can't get that close without the screen kocking for input during a call.

And yes, you need to register with iTunes. That's a known quantity. But these reports of android interface differences are off putting as well. Each is a tool, and you use the one that appeals more to your sensitivities, and works best for what you do. The existence of one doesn't obsolete the usefulness of the other.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2011, 01:14 PM »
I guess my point is that if your use is "non-demanding", all platforms are simple and work reliably. Hence I find it of little value to hear that i-stuff "just works" or works simply and predictably, as if other platforms don't.

+1
"It just works" is nice, but so is "It works well" and "It works the way I want or expect."