ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

"good" LCD monitors - what are their type

(1/6) > >>

nudone:
Sorry, I'm pretty sure someone has stated what "type" good LCD monitors are elsewhere on the forum, I just can't remember who and where.

What I mean by "good" is the type of screen that doesn't appear to change in contrast or brightness as you change you viewing angle.

I've got two "good" monitors that appear consistent regardless of viewing angle and two that show immediate differences just by moving my head a few centimetres (admittedly, the two that are "bad" are in portrait mode, so the problem becomes exaggerated).

I'm intending to replace the "bad" monitors with "good" monitors, so knowing exactly what type to look for will be helpful - then I can go for the cheapest replacements possible.

Thanks.

Carol Haynes:
I have 3 Samsung B2430H monitors and like them very much.

See http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0037LIOO8

I may not be as picky as you though.

Relatively cheap, bright picture, crystal clear full HD. Colours do change marginally as you move - but not for just a few cm, you have to move a fair bit to see the effect (I can move my head 30cm to each side without noticing much difference at all).

Having said that my eyes aren't as good as they once were and I can't be sure it is not me but the monitor!

nudone:
I think that one is similar to the ones I'm labelling "bad". That might be unfair but one of the monitors I don't like is a Samsung 2443BW 24" which I'd put in the same price and quality bracket as the one you've mentioned.

If you are looking at the monitor in the "normal" portrait mode then left and right differences in viewing angle won't be a problem, which is what you've described.

But if your Samsung B2430H is similar in screen "type" to my 2443BW then you should notice a difference in colour shades when you move your head vertically. The poor way I can describe it is to say that if you view the screen "from above" it will look brighter/darker than looking at it "from below".

I'm after a screen that appears consistent in color tone and brightness across a wide range of viewing angles.

The only screens I've seen do this don't fall into the budget category - but without knowing what it is that makes the difference in the construction of the screen, I don't know whether there will be some monitors towards the top end of the budget market that will be fine.

p.s. I'm after matt finish screens.

nudone:
Okay, after a quick bit of investigation, it appears that I'm after S-IPS based monitors.

But, as I still really don't know what I'm talking about, I don't know if this is the only type of screen that will live up to my expectations. There may be alternatives, cheaper and providing the same quality.

Any ideas?

Edvard:
I'm thinking you're wanting some advice from those MOST concerned with color shifts, and that would be those working professionally in the field of digital photography/photoediting.

I looked up "LCD monitor photo editing", and you're right, what you want is *-IPS (see TFT_LCD#In-plane_switching_.28IPS.29w) which is as good as it gets.
S-PVA is the next best, and TN is the bottom of the barrel.
I've heard that LED screens don't have the viewing angle color shift, but they have a much narrower gamut.

Be aware that the more affordable *-IPS monitors cannot support high refresh rates, so they're not recommended for games and the like.

HTH...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version