topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Saturday April 20, 2024, 7:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: EaseUS Todo Backup Free has USB 3.0 support  (Read 6616 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
EaseUS Todo Backup Free has USB 3.0 support
« on: August 20, 2011, 09:57 PM »
http://www.todo-back...ness/free-backup.htm

I just tried the Linux boot CD made with EaseUS Todo Free edition. To my pleasant surprise it recognized the drives in my SIIG USB 3.0 docks running off SIIG USB 3.0 PCIexpress card.

Even the new Macrium Reflect 5 Pro does not recognize my SIIG card.

I made one backup image after trying the boot CD.  Doesn't have the options that Macrium has, but is much simpler.  Backup My System doesn't ask any questions other than the folder to put the image. It backs up the partition you booted from.  It does look like it may have some features Macrium doesn't like Clone to dissimilar hardware.

The main thing for me right now is avoiding messing around with putting backup images on USB 2.0 drives or using a USB 2.0 dock.  I haven't tried the restore but Macrium restore from USB 2.0 on my systems copied off the source at about 22 MB/s. I'm sure USB 3.0 read will be much faster.

Also if anyone is interested, SIW2 poster on another forum has a utility program that makes a boot CD with a menu to make it easier to use restore type programs.  You can take a look at this thread if you are curious:

http://www.sevenforu...ram.html#post1533753

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: EaseUS Todo Backup Free has USB 3.0 support
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 10:19 PM »
Thanks for the word, MilesAhead.
Which SIIG USB 3.0 docks are you using? (I think you told us in another topic but...)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 10:54 PM »
This is the dock:

http://www.newegg.co...Item=N82E16817270020

I'm using with SIIG Superspeed PCIexpress card (5 Gb/s)

http://www.newegg.co...Item=N82E16815150161

The good thing is this release is the Free version.  So if it doesn't work you're not out anything.  But I tried Macrium boot CD after my system had been powered up, and after completely powering down, and the access light in the dock never flickered once. (I'm talking Linux boot CD made from new Macrium v. 5 trial.)

I'm not sure if it works with on board USB 3.0  But they seem interested in doing it.  On their support forum there was a question about no USB 3.0 posted around the end of July and already they are making changes.

I'm sure Macrium will get it too eventually.  Seems like NEC driver is too common to ignore I would think.  That's what SIIG card uses, NEC chips and Windows driver.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 11:51 PM »
btw, as I use this more I do see it allows you to choose partitions to back up.  You just have to make a task with the wizard. The UI is a bit more spartan than Macrium but so far I like it. Of course the proof will be if I have to restore.  Hoping I don't have to test it for a bit. :)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 11:26 AM »
This is the dock...Seems like NEC driver is too common to ignore I would think.  That's what SIIG card uses, NEC chips and Windows driver.
Thanks, I have USB3 on the board (NEC)
Took a preliminary look for a blacX USB3 'locally' but other events distracted me  :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 06:18 PM »
I have a couple of BlacX USB 2.0 docks.  They worked fine with Macrium boot CD.  One thing I like about the SIIG docs is the fan.  Although the single takes as much space as a double, the drives are noticeably cooler when you pull them out with your hand.

I don't know how you can find out ahead of time, but I had Sharkoon USB 3.0 dock and it would spin down the drive after an idle time.  I wrote a small program to create a file and delete it every 5 minutes to avoid spin down.  But it seems to need to be manually flushed before pulling the drive out.  I had some sync issues I didn't notice with the SIIG.  I don't know how the BlacX is.  Maybe you can find out from user reviews.