ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

"Upgrade" Button is Patented -- Trolls Come Out of Sewers...

(1/8) > >>

Renegade:
I utterly fail to understand how a BUTTON can be patented...

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/05/patent-troll-shakes-down-iphone-app-programmers.ars

Several iOS programmers on Friday morning said they received a legal complaint from Lodsys, a patent-holding firm.

Lodsys is accusing the developers of infringing a patent related to the usage of an “upgrade” button that customers can use to upgrade from a free version of an app to a paid version, or to make purchases from within an app.
--- End quote ---

I have no clue... Stunned... It's every bit as idiotic as "1-click".

But really? A button? To upgrade? Huh?  :huh:

f0dder:
Trollsys.

"A button that says upgrade" is dumbing down the actual patent a bit too much, but nevertheless is is a silly patent, and the trollsys guys are the kind on (un)human beings that deserve to wake up with and icepick in their skulls.

40hz:
If push comes to shove, that particular patent has a life expectancy measured in milliseconds if they take it to court.  But they're definitely bottom feeding here. I'd guess Microsoft would be amused to learn their Win7 "anytime upgrade" button is patented.  Expect amicus briefs to be filed shortly - along with a motion to invalidate the patent. :P

f0dder:
If push comes to shove, that particular patent has a life expectancy measured in milliseconds if they take it to court.  But they're definitely bottom feeding here. I'd guess Microsoft would be amused to learn their Win7 "anytime upgrade" button is patented.  Expect amicus briefs to be filed shortly - along with a motion to invalidate the patent. :P-40hz (August 18, 2011, 10:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
Would Microsoft be able to enter the fray if they aren't being sued by the company? Makes you wonder why they're bottom feeding...

Renegade:
Trollsys.

"A button that says upgrade" is dumbing down the actual patent a bit too much, but nevertheless is is a silly patent, and the trollsys guys are the kind on (un)human beings that deserve to wake up with and icepick in their skulls.
-f0dder (August 18, 2011, 10:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

I like that~! ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version