ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SoftMaker Office 2012 BETA testing

<< < (10/21) > >>

40hz:
Just finished putting the latest beta through its paces and I'm very impressed.

The new email client is quite nice. Lightning fast. Packs much of the look and feel of Outlook without all the MS Exchange baggage that comes along for the ride. About the only feature it lacks (or I maybe haven't discovered how to do yet) is turn an email into a task on the to-do list. Not a showstopper - but that little feature is one of Outlook's handiest tools. Especially if your life and work revolves around things that come in via email.

Some nice tweaks in the rest of the suite as well.

Softmaker goes on my short list for clients that are very tight on cash but still can't afford to stray too far away from the Microsoft look & feel for productivity reasons. Figure if they need full compatibility with Office they can always order one or two copies and put those on kiosk type machines so they're available, and then populate the rest of their PCs with SO.

Much as I admire (and use) LibreOffice, I still think Softmaker's offering is too good to rule out just because of the modest price they're asking. Even for individuals and groups on very tight budgets.

Sweet suite!  8) :Thmbsup:

TucknDar:
About the only feature it lacks (or I maybe haven't discovered how to do yet) is turn an email into a task on the to-do list.-40hz (November 19, 2011, 01:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
'Actions' menu -> 'Create Task from Message'?
Sweet suite!  8) :Thmbsup:-40hz (November 19, 2011, 01:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
Definitely agree! I love SMO!

Shades:
As the policy here does not allow me to install this beta, can someone tell me if the email client supports the same versions of MAPI than Outlook?

There is simple MAPI which is supported on practically any client. Unfortunately there is also extended MAPI and that one is only supported by Outlook...as far as my knowledge goes. And what about CAPI (cryptography)?

Thanks in advance.

40hz:
@TucknDar - Thx! (40hz gob-smacks himself.) :-[

40hz:
As the policy here does not allow me to install this beta, can someone tell me if the email client supports the same versions of MAPI than Outlook?

There is simple MAPI which is supported on practically any client. Unfortunately there is also extended MAPI and that one is only supported by Outlook...as far as my knowledge goes. And what about CAPI (cryptography)?

Thanks in advance.
-Shades (November 20, 2011, 08:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm guessing it doesn't support extended MAPI and it probably won't ever. Especially since Microsoft is fairly committed to migrating Outlook/Exchange users over to it's new and more robust Exchange Web Services (EWS) and therefor considers Extended MAPI a legacy API.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version