topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 7:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: HotKeyP updated to 4.6, 2011-07-30: first update since 2008  (Read 6551 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The hotkey program HotKeyP has been updated to 4.6, first update since 2008:

HotKeyP
-------
4.6 (2011-07-30)
- command "Desktop resolution" has optional parameter monitor number
- command "Control panel" without parameters opens the control panels folder
- command "Macro" can have parameters \media_select, \launch_app1, \launch_app2
- option to use hook only for special system shortcuts (e.g. Win+E, Win+D, Ctrl+Esc, Alt+Tab, ...)

fixed bugs:
- multimedia keys on some keyboards did not work (e.g. Genius USB keyboards)
- shift sometimes remained pressed after the macro
- if launched application required admin. rights, its exe file name was passed as the first parameter

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: HotKeyP updated to 4.6, 2011-07-30: first update since 2008
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 05:51 PM »
Interesting.

Do you know if the action "Terminate process" can be used to kill ANY process that is having (stealing) focus at any given time, or if it is for a 'pre-selected' program only?

It would be very handy if it was for any program at any time, instead of this annoying procedure (when a program goes berserk) where the user has to click here and there, at a time when the computer takes ages to respond, if at all.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 03:00 PM »
Do you know if the action "Terminate process" can be used to kill ANY process that is having (stealing) focus at any given time, or if it is for a 'pre-selected' program only?
I haven't tried it with HotKeyP.  My regular hotkey program is HoeKey, which works by killing whichever process has focus.  So, by the looks of a quick test, does HotKeyz.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 03:40 PM »
I was hoping one of them would support Right-click on window titlebar to close. But doesnt seem to be the case.

HotkeyP insists in going in with startup apps - otherwise it closes (here). Bit of a PIA if just trying.

Hoekey not working properly out of the box here.

Hotkeyz seems to be the most accessible for GUI persons like me :)

Sorry should have added my OS:
Win7 Pro, 64bit SP1
Tom
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 04:41 AM by tomos, Reason: added OS details »

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 12:33 PM »
I was hoping one of them would support Right-click on window titlebar to close. But doesnt seem to be the case.

For this feature I'm using Pitaschio, however, I redefined the right-click to minimize and middle-click to close to be consistent with other apps (Opera, Taskbar Shuffle).

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 01:39 PM »
I was hoping one of them would support Right-click on window titlebar to close.

This functionality is very easy to accomplish with a bit of AHK script.  Did you need something like that or do you currently use a different application for this functionality?

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 02:33 PM »
HotkeyP insists in going in with startup apps
Doesn't here, on Vista Home Premium, UAC On, from a user account: I just unzipped it into a c:\NoInst\HotKeyP\ directory and it works OK.

Hoekey not working properly out of the box here.
No problems here.  I've used it for years on several different systems.  But, you do have to manually edit the configuration with a text editor  :)  This is the line in question:
_^@K=Kill                         ; Terminate current process

It has a nice GUI configuration system, if sometimes a bit tedious when you want to add several things, with parameters etc.  I've occasionally had the impression that HotKeyz is a bit slower at some actions than Hoekey, notably at popping up my PopSel menu.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 05:33 AM »
HotkeyP insists in going in with startup apps
Doesn't here, on Vista Home Premium, UAC On, from a user account: I just unzipped it into a c:\NoInst\HotKeyP\ directory and it works OK.

I should have given more details - it didnt even ask me - it was WinPatrol that told me it was making a startup entry, when I disallowed this, the programme closed. That happened twice & WinPatrol showed two disabled startup entries
Today it's working okay :tellme:
os below

It has a nice GUI configuration system, if sometimes a bit tedious when you want to add several things, with parameters etc.  I've occasionally had the impression that HotKeyz is a bit slower at some actions than Hoekey, notably at popping up my PopSel menu.

I had major problems with "minimise all windows except current". Didnt minimise to taskbar. but to bottom left corner of screen. Tasskbar (on autohide) refused to show. Had to reboot to clear the mess.. Otherwise seemed okay, especially for someone who barely knows what paramaters are :)

I can try Hoekey again - the latest update is just an exe. I downloaded an older complete version and replaced the exe,  but maybe you have to run the older version first :-\

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 06:11 AM »
I was hoping one of them would support Right-click on window titlebar to close.

This functionality is very easy to accomplish with a bit of AHK script.  Did you need something like that or do you currently use a different application for this functionality?

Windows management script (?)
Give 'em an inch, they (try to) take a mile :D
Tom

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 03:42 PM »
Today it's working okay
Today I suddenly have the normally perfectly reliable ArsClip complaining it couldn't set its hotkey.  I blame Windows  :mad:

Hotkeyz seems to be the most accessible for GUI persons like me [...] I had major problems with "minimise all windows except current". Didnt minimise to taskbar. but to bottom left corner of screen. Tasskbar (on autohide) refused to show. Had to reboot to clear the mess.
Hmmm, I haven't tried those features.  I wonder if Magnus is developing on very recent versions of Windows.  Have you tried e-mailing him?

I can try Hoekey again - the latest update is just an exe. I downloaded an older complete version and replaced the exe,  but maybe you have to run the older version first
No, it's another no-install unzip-and-go program, but you do need a configuration file.  The reason for having the older archives is to have the help file and configuration examples.  He didn't bother to update the archives.  Just copy the latest .exe over the previous one.  The feaures of the most recent versions are probably only mentioned in the user group forum.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 04:35 PM »
^ I'm being a lazy beggar about this one (i.e. any or all problems reported) - I just needed a handful of shortcuts and I getting help in that coding snack thread I started
Tom