ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Firefox fixes the version number problem

(1/10) > >>

justice:
Firefox is working hard to just have one version, the current one. Firefox 9 or 10 will move the version number from the about window to Help > Troubleshoot.
When a user opens the About window for Firefox, the window should say something like "Firefox checked for updates 20 minutes ago, you are running the latest release."

It is important to say when the last check happened and ideally to do the check when the dialog is launched so that time is very near and to drop the version and simply tell them they're on the latest or not.

--- End quote ---

from mozilla.dev.usability

You will probably not agree but I think this is a good change. It will help supporting Firefox because there will just be two versions that matter: the up to date version, and the old version (which is any older version).
This simplifies any solution and troubleshooting, it either works in the current version, or Firefox will update - if it's connected to the internet. Which means eventually, Firefox is always up to date and there will no old versions and therefore no issues.

Probably the biggest obstacle to getting everyone to keep autoupdate on is the bundling of crap with installers, as we discussed before.

vlastimil:
It is the right way to go. While it means that the users are less in control of the software they run on their computers, it simplifies the development and maintenance by a great deal.

From the developer perspective, automatic updates are a blessing. If a bug is found, it can be fixed and the fix is distributed to all users within few days without bothering them. It is a tremendous help.

I am planning automatic updates for new versions of my software, but implementing a 100% working transparent automatic updates is pretty tough. Kudos to Firefox devs.

rssapphire:
The last thing I want is updates that download and install whenever they want unless the publisher can guarantee (with his life and gene pool forfeit if he is incorrect) that the update will never interfere with any other software/hardware on my machine and will never download if I need the bandwidth for something else or if I am near my bandwidth limit if any.  As I doubt many developers will be able (let alone willing) to do this, auto-download/update should always default to off -- if the user wants it, the user can turn it on. Note that an (unchecked) option to turn it on during the install is fine.

cyberdiva:
Perhaps I'm not understanding this correctly, but I think Firefox updating itself automatically is not a good idea for a couple of reasons.  One is that at times the add-on developers don't come out with new versions of their add-ons as soon as a new Firefox version appears.  I have often waited to update because add-ons for some software I depended on weren't yet compatible.  (And on at least one occasion, I had to stay with an older version of Firefox because I couldn't update the software and the add-on for the old software wouldn't work in the new Firefox.)

In addition to the above issue, there's also the fact that many people (I among them) prefer to wait a bit before updating Firefox to be sure no serious bugs are reported in the new version.  I would NOT want to be forced to update before I felt confident that the new version was OK.

(When I was about to post the above I was told that another post had been added.  I see that rssapphire has misgivings somewhat similar to mine.  :Thmbsup: )

40hz:

It is the right way to go. While it means that the users are less in control of the software they run on their computers, it simplifies the development and maintenance by a great deal.

-vlastimil (August 16, 2011, 08:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

I must be stoned while I'm reading this.  :huh:

How, in the name of all that is decent, can giving users less control over what gets installed on their machines ever be viewed as "the right way to go"? :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version