topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Firefox fixes the version number problem  (Read 27199 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox fixes the version number problem
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2011, 09:48 AM »
And not one bad remark about Opera...need I say more?
Probably because most of us stopped caring about that years ago? :)

I think many rather than most would be more correct.

Lately, I find myself using Opera more and more.  Especially when frequenting forums.  :Thmbsup:

+1

Though lately I've been using Opera and Chrome a lot. (I'm using Chrome for Travian. I don't like games in my main browser.)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

CaptainDDL

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2011, 09:27 PM »
I wouldn't mind the automatic updates to be honest, if they could somehow prevent extensions from breaking constantly.

I like how Chrome does updates...seamlessly in the background, nary a complaint. All extensions work normally, no user interaction required past opening the browser.

cgl

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2011, 07:23 AM »
The single number is OK. Automatic updates are a pain. I depend on Roboform Everywhere for my desktop and laptop. I*f Firefox updates automatically without Roboform update I am lost. Gary

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2011, 09:22 AM »
I like how Chrome does updates...seamlessly in the background, nary a complaint. All extensions work normally, no user interaction required past opening the browser.

I love Chrome and I use it for just about everything, but I do have one complaint with the automatic updates:

When Chrome auto-updates itself or possibly some extensions, it will also automatically restart itself. This usually isn't very intrusive as the only indication of this happening is that all of your tabs will appear to refresh themselves. But having a tab refresh itself can cause problems if you're preloading/buffering a large video or typing a long message in a forum or e-mail.

In these scenarios, an unexpected refresh can cause you to lose your message that took you hours to type up or make you have to restart the buffering of the video, which might have also taken hours to pre-load on slower connections.

That is a very bad implementation of what is IMO an otherwise great feature.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2011, 11:48 AM »
That is a very bad implementation of what is IMO an otherwise great feature.

Indeed. From you description it brings to mind the rule of least astonishment - which to me it clearly violates.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2011, 12:18 PM »
I've never seen this, only a prompt that asks me to restart chrome because its been a while and theres an update waiting to be installed.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2011, 06:15 PM »
I've never seen this, only a prompt that asks me to restart chrome because its been a while and theres an update waiting to be installed.

Likewise. Are you sure it actually works the way you think it does?

- Oshyan

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2011, 02:21 AM »
Do you think that you know better than the developers that this patch is good or bad for you?
Yes.

How does the developer know my setup and my system?  He doesn't.  You are looking at this only from the side that the developer knows his own program, and that may be true.  But he doesn't know, and definitely doesn't care, about the intricacies of my system.  Only I do.  What he is patching may already be covered by some other form of protection on my system.  Does he know?  No.  What his patch "fixes" may cause other issues with my system.  Does he know?  No.  Does he care?  Maybe at best.  No, I am responsible for systems under my care, I should have the capability to choose how to run them - not have it forced down my throat.  Do you want to make it install by default?  Fine, but still give me the choice.  Just like the developer has the choice to NOT support older versions (or to charge for that support), I should have the choice NOT to install the newer version.  Taking away that choice is NEVER a good idea.

If Mozilla thinks it is a good idea to become Chrome, fine.  Just don't be surprised as EVERYONE jumps ship to either the original Chrome or something more in line with what they are looking for.  The Mozilla Foundation has completely ignored what made them grow so big in the first place - and in an effort to grow larger, they are abandoning that key segment and going after as a "me too".

ecaradec

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blog & Projects
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2011, 04:44 AM »
Just a precision for addons :

Incompatible addons on Firefox should come to an end probably before : Mozilla already has made changes to automatically detect incompatible changes and notify developers. If addons are detected compatible they'll be marked as compatible automatically. This exclude addons with binary components, but this will come to an end as well. Mozilla has js-ctypes now, which allows to access the system without requiring binaries. They also made much harder to build binary components, you have to build it specifically for each version of Firefox and there will be a new one every 6 week, so it's probable almost everyone quit doing this. Incompatible addons won't probably be an issue shortly.

Personnally I welcome the change. It's not nice for sys admin, but I don't really like, installing and installing softwares just to keep them up to date. Actually I think this will cause pression for programmers to release working software on as much as possible everyone.
Blog & Projects : Blog | Qatapult | SwiffOut | FScript

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2011, 07:09 AM »
Do you think that you know better than the developers that this patch is good or bad for you?
Yes.

How does the developer know my setup and my system?  He doesn't.  You are looking at this only from the side that the developer knows his own program, and that may be true.  But he doesn't know, and definitely doesn't care, about the intricacies of my system.  Only I do.  What he is patching may already be covered by some other form of protection on my system.  Does he know?  No.  What his patch "fixes" may cause other issues with my system.  Does he know?  No.  Does he care?  Maybe at best.  No, I am responsible for systems under my care, I should have the capability to choose how to run them - not have it forced down my throat.  Do you want to make it install by default?  Fine, but still give me the choice.  Just like the developer has the choice to NOT support older versions (or to charge for that support), I should have the choice NOT to install the newer version.  Taking away that choice is NEVER a good idea.

+1 Browser patches can break functionality of web applications, and if that web app happens to be mission critical ... No is an important answer to have available. Currently MS is pushing IE9, however when installed, it breaks the native MS Fax printer because of its treatment of preview.js.

Why? Hell-if-I-Know. But I have the IE9 update blocked for all machines located at clients that use the native MS Fax server. Because that's the only way to keep them running right now.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2011, 07:56 AM »
Currently MS is pushing IE9, however when installed, it breaks the native MS Fax printer because of its treatment of preview.js.

breaks functionality in InfoQube as well where it's used for the viewer, and screws up other apps as well I've heard (sorry dont have any more details)
Tom

Jesper Hertel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2011, 01:24 AM »
Do you want to make it install by default?  Fine, but still give me the choice.  Just like the developer has the choice to NOT support older versions (or to charge for that support), I should have the choice NOT to install the newer version.  Taking away that choice is NEVER a good idea.
I agree.

It seems like to avoid an automatic upgrade you will have to block the address it uses to check for (or download) upgrades in your firewall or local proxy. I use Privoxy and could block it there (although I personally don't need to).

There is always a practical solution. :-)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2011, 01:28 AM »

- Oshyan

Nope. I'm not sure.

All I know is that occasionally all of my tabs suddenly reload themselves. I guess I just assumed it was because of an update but I suppose it could also be silently recovering from some sort of crash or something else entirely.

Jesper Hertel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2011, 03:09 AM »

- Oshyan

Nope. I'm not sure.

All I know is that occasionally all of my tabs suddenly reload themselves. I guess I just assumed it was because of an update but I suppose it could also be silently recovering from some sort of crash or something else entirely.
Funny, I made exactly the same observation as Deozaan, and made exactly the same assumption (that the reload of all tabs was due to an update), and I also don't know if my assumption is correct :).

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2011, 03:44 AM »
I have been searching for things like "chrome tab auto recover crash" and "chrome tab auto reload" but I can't find any other experiences either way that explain what's going on. So all I can tell you is that I suspect it's an extension you might have installed that periodically checks/reloads tabs, if it isn't crashing. Because I haven't seen tabs appearing to refresh itself and I use chrome for about 3 hours every day.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2011, 10:45 AM »
I have been searching for things like "chrome tab auto recover crash" and "chrome tab auto reload" but I can't find any other experiences either way that explain what's going on. So all I can tell you is that I suspect it's an extension you might have installed that periodically checks/reloads tabs, if it isn't crashing. Because I haven't seen tabs appearing to refresh itself and I use chrome for about 3 hours every day.

Interesting. I use Chrome for far longer each day, and usually never even close it except, obviously, when rebooting (which doesn't happen often).

As far as I know, none of my extensions should be reloading the tabs. Here are my extensions:

Adblock Plus for Google Chrome™ (Beta) - Version: 1.1.4
Ads were yesterday! The successful extension Adblock Plus is now available for Google Chrome™.

Facebook Disconnect - Version: 1.0.2
Stop Facebook from tracking the webpages you go to.

goo.gl URL Shortener Lite - Version: 0.7.0
Shorten url with goo.gl, the Google URL shortener. Lite version without keyboard shortcuts and context menu

Google Chrome to Phone Extension - Version: 2.3.1 (Disabled)
Google Chrome to Phone Extension enables you to send links and other information from Chrome to your Android device.

Google Reader Notifier (by Google) - Version: 1.3.1
Displays the number of unread items in your Google Reader account. Clicking can show a preview popup or open your Reader account.

Google Voice (by Google) - Version: 2.2.3.4
Make calls, send SMS, preview Inbox, and get notified of new messages. (US only)

IBA Opt-out (by Google) - Version: 1.0 (Disabled)
Save your interest-based advertising opt-out preference permanently.

InvisibleHand - Version: 0.9.25
Automatically get the lowest price on whatever you’re buying

LastPass - Version: 1.75.5
LastPass is a free password manager and form filler. LastPass is also available for Firefox, Internet Explorer and Safari.

Personal Blocklist (by Google) - Version: 2.0
Blocks domains/hosts from appearing in your Google search results.

Silver Bird - Version: 1.9.8.4
Silver Bird is a Twitter extension that allows you to follow your timelines and interact with your Twitter account.

SmoothScroll - Version: 1.0.1
Scrolls the websites smoothly when scrolling with the mouse wheel or the keyboard

SubSonic - Version: 2.0
Subsonic is a free, web-based media streamer, providing ubiquitous access to your music.

YouTube Video Download - Version: 3.0.40
Scans the YouTube page for all formats, including 1080p on selected videos. Designed to be lightweight and unobtrusive, it runs entirely on the page without contacting any external sites.

Jesper Hertel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2011, 11:15 AM »

Interesting. I use Chrome for far longer each day, and usually never even close it except, obviously, when rebooting (which doesn't happen often).

As far as I know, none of my extensions should be reloading the tabs. Here are my extensions:

Adblock Plus for Google Chrome™ (Beta) - Version: 1.1.4
Ads were yesterday! The successful extension Adblock Plus is now available for Google Chrome™.

How did you make that list? Did you edit it by hand? Or could you copy it directly using some nice extension? And how did the titles get bold? Is it possible to paste formatted text into comments here in the forum?

Here is my list of active extensions (created by copying from the extension list and massaging using regular expressions in TextPad):

AdBlock - Version: 2.4.23
The most popular Chrome extension, with over 2 million users! Blocks ads all over the web.

Answers by Answers.com - Version: 1.0.5
Double click any word while holding ctrl (Windows) or alt (Mac)

Extensions - Version: 0.9
Quicker access for the Extensions window

Facebook Sidebar Chat Reversion - Version: 2.0.5
Reverts the new Facebook chat to the old one, simple.

Facebook Video Downloader - Version: 1.0
Download link for Facebook Videos

Fullscreen Google Maps - Version: 3.2
The original extesion to make Google Maps fullscreen.

Google Dictionary (by Google) - Version: 3.0.4
View definitions easily as you browse the web.

Google Fremhæver - Version: 1.8
Google Fremhæver giver dig mulighed for at gå direkte til relevante tekststykker i et Google-søgeresultat.

Highlight to Search (by Google) - Version: 1.0.34
Highlight to Search allows you search keywords by highlighting instead of typing them into a search box.

Hover Zoom - Version: 3.1
Enlarge thumbnails on mouse over. Works on many sites (Facebook, Twitter, Google™, Flickr, Reddit, Amazon, etc).

Klip til Evernote - Version: 5.1.15.1534
Brug Evernote-udvidelsen til at gemme ting, du ser på nettet til din Evernote-bruger. Du kan selv søge efter noter.

Proxy Switchy! - Version: 1.6.3
Manage and switch between multiple proxies quickly and easily.

Read Later Fast - Version: 1.3.3
Save pages to read later -- online or offline, and fast! Avoid too many tabs and make your browsing a blast!

RSS-tilmelding (fra Google) - Version: 2.1.3
Føjer tilmelding i ét klik til din værktøjslinje.

Send from Gmail (by Google) - Version: 1.12
Makes Gmail your default email application and provides a button to compose a Gmail message to quickly share a link via email

Session Buddy - Version: 2.1.2
A Flexible Session Manager for Chrome

Scrolls the websites smoothly when scrolling with the mouse wheel or the keyboard

Web Developer - Version: 0.3.1
Adds a toolbar button with various web developer tools. The official port of the Web Developer extension for Firefox.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2011, 08:01 AM »
How did you make that list? Did you edit it by hand? Or could you copy it directly using some nice extension? And how did the titles get bold? Is it possible to paste formatted text into comments here in the forum?
-Jesper Hertel (August 25, 2011, 11:15 AM)

I just copied it from the Chrome Extensions page and then manually edited it and bolded the titles. Regex would have been better except for the fact that it would have taken me longer to find out the expression to match the titles than it did to manually bold them all.  :D

Anyway, so it looks like we have the following in common:

So if it is an extension that is doing this to us, I guess it should be one of those two, since we're both experiencing the same issue.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2011, 08:04 AM »
I use smooth scroll and i dont have the issue

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Jesper Hertel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Jesper Hertel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2011, 05:26 PM »
I use smooth scroll and i dont have the issue
And since I installed Facebook Disconnect just a day ago, being inspired by Deozaan's list :P, it probably cannot be the extensions that do it. So I still have the belief that it is something Chrome does, but I have no proof of it and haven't seen it mentioned anywhere :).

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2011, 10:18 AM »
I installed Facebook Disconnect just a day ago
-Jesper Hertel (August 26, 2011, 05:26 PM)

Be aware that Facebook Disconnect gets rid of the Facebook "Like" buttons on all websites except Facebook.com. I am personally glad of that feature, but it can cause confusion if you're on a site that says "Click the Like button to get your free content!" and the Like button is nowhere to be found. :Thmbsup:

Jesper Hertel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2011, 12:07 PM »
Be aware that Facebook Disconnect gets rid of the Facebook "Like" buttons on all websites except Facebook.com
Yes, I am aware of that and that is exactly what I want! :up: And I won't click "like" just to get free content anyway - I only do that if I really like something. ;)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2011, 10:55 AM »
I installed Facebook Disconnect just a day ago
-Jesper Hertel (August 26, 2011, 05:26 PM)

Be aware that Facebook Disconnect gets rid of the Facebook "Like" buttons on all websites except Facebook.com. I am personally glad of that feature, but it can cause confusion if you're on a site that says "Click the Like button to get your free content!" and the Like button is nowhere to be found. :Thmbsup:
Which is actually a good thing, since you're less likely to get hit by clickjacking that way :)
- carpe noctem