ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Firefox fixes the version number problem

<< < (4/10) > >>

cyberdiva:
I tend to agree with vlastimil. While I, as a power user, don't necessarily prefer automatic updates, it is a good thing for the vast majority of users *if* it can be implemented properly. By proper implementation I mean that it will never restart the browser or computer without the user's consent, it will never break extensions or if it does it will ask the user if that's ok *and* allow them to delay update for some time....
-JavaJones (August 16, 2011, 04:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

What you're describing is not so different from what Firefox has been doing for some time.  When a new version (or sub-version) is issued, I'm told when I use FF that a new version is out and I'm asked whether I want to update now.  I'm given the choice of updating now or having FF ask me again later.   I think that's quite different from the automatic updating that seemed to be described earlier in this thread, updating that gives the user little or no say.

nosh:
FF users need to stop giving IE a bad rap. We need the "vast majority" to stay there so the Mozilla devs can take care of stuff that matters and put an end to the weirdness that's creeping up over there.

Daleus:
I agree with all of the stated reasons Automatic, uncontrollable updates are unsavory.

For myself, I wish they'd fix the problem with getting rid of add-ons that don't work after an update.  Never been able to get the things uninstalled. Instead they are rendered "disabled" but lag around in the list until the next version release.

Of course, that problem would be resolved if there was some proper notification during updates/upgrades that plugins won't work, and I mean a specific notification of *which* add-on doesn't work, with the option to rollback the current installation.

And no I won't stop bashing IE.

mahesh2k:
By the way what is "release update channel". I dont get automatic updates dialog on firefox but it only updates when i go to about firefox dialog.

cyberdiva:
Of course, that problem would be resolved if there was some proper notification during updates/upgrades that plugins won't work, and I mean a specific notification of *which* add-on doesn't work, with the option to rollback the current installation.
-Daleus (August 17, 2011, 08:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm...that's strange.  When I got the notification of FF6 being available, I had the choice of Upgrade or Ask me later.  After a while, I chose Upgrade, and that produced a box telling me which of my add-ons wouldn't work with FF6, and it also gave me a chance to go back to the original box and click on Ask me later.  I did that a couple of times, and each time the number of add-ons diminished (e.g., Linkman issued a new version that works with FF6, so Linkman was no longer listed in the won't-work box).  Now there's just one left.  I'd try to force it to be compatible, but I see no reason to rush to update to FF6, so I'll just stay with 5 and be patient.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version