ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Firefox fixes the version number problem

<< < (3/10) > >>

cyberdiva:
Control over your own computer is an illusion unless you run linux and review every bit of source code you install. Automatic updates can at least compensate this downside.
-vlastimil (August 16, 2011, 11:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, all I want is control over those aspects that I understand.  I understand that some of my add-ons will often fail to work if I update Firefox too soon.  I understand that when people who upgrade Firefox as soon as possible report all kinds of problems, I want to be able to hold off on updating.  I have no desire to be the canary in the coalmine.

My approach to Firefox updates is much the same as my approach to Windows Updates.  I have set Windows Updates to let me know when new ones are available, but let me decide whether and when to download and install them.

vlastimil:
I understand that some of my add-ons will often fail to work if I update Firefox too soon.  I understand that when people who upgrade Firefox as soon as possible report all kinds of problems, I want to be able to hold off on updating.  I have no desire to be the canary in the coalmine.
-cyberdiva (August 16, 2011, 01:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

A properly implemented automatic updates should be able to cover this typical scenario. The Firefox devs would be stupid if they implemented automatic updates in a way that breaks their users' browsers. It is not that hard to compare version numbers of your extensions and determine whether a patch should be applied now or next week together with an extension update. Why do people always assume that developers cannot see the simplest things? Do programmers really deserve this?  :D

nosh:
A lot of extensions marked incompatible work fine even after FF has moved up several versions. If someone were to rely solely on automatic updates FF would never update. And perhaps throw a nag box about incompatible extensions everytime it checked for an update. There are too many ifs and buts to implement an intelligent auto update for FF.

JavaJones:
I tend to agree with vlastimil. While I, as a power user, don't necessarily prefer automatic updates, it is a good thing for the vast majority of users *if* it can be implemented properly. By proper implementation I mean that it will never restart the browser or computer without the user's consent, it will never break extensions or if it does it will ask the user if that's ok *and* allow them to delay update for some time, and finally that the test cycle prior to pushing new updates is comprehensive enough that the vast majority do not have any "weird problems" and need to wait to see if it's a "good update". Really we have learned to compensate for the bad habits of our software publishers and hopefully that does not have to last forever.

Regarding extension compatibility, I believe Mozilla has at least a partial solution with the Add-on SDK and changes in how Firefox handles plugin version compatibility:
http://blog.mozilla.com/addons/2011/04/19/add-on-compatibility-rapid-releases/
and more on that:
http://www.oxymoronical.com/blog/2011/06/Why-do-Firefox-updates-break-add-ons

- Oshyan

f0dder:
The version number bumping Mozilla has been doing lately is silly - and now they want to hide the version number? That's outright stupid. Yes, you should be running "version latest", but as long as stuff breaks (and not always just in a "fix the version number in the .xpi" way) with updates, people aren't going to do that.

I'm all for a more agile release cycle, and making updates painless is a very good idea - heck, 100% automatic update to bugfix versions is a decent idea. But as soon as something changes - no way. At least there needs to be a way to turn it off. It might work just fine for all your regular joes, but for power users and enterprise situations? No. No, no, no and no.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version