topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Retracing DonationCoder's footsteps  (Read 4758 times)

dspelley

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • But it's a dry heat.
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Retracing DonationCoder's footsteps
« on: August 16, 2011, 12:48 AM »
I am, for the most part, what you might call a lurker on this forum. I'm not a developer, but enjoy looking for, testing, and playing with software of all types. When I enter this forum I just about always scan Page #1 and maybe click back to Page #2.  Tonight I decided to go all the way back to Page 146 and to an entry by Mouser on May 13, 2005. 

Wow! From there it was like taking a walk through a really cool museum. Discussions about the new Thunderbird email client; Mouser posting an entry about a new tool/toy called Google Earth; GrafxShop; konfabulator, thinbasic; Qumana; and on and on.

Found a link to a French language software blog that my version of Chromium now easily translates - led me to a file manager I'm going to try called  Multi Commander.

It's pretty amazing how things have changed in just 6 years!  Try taking a stroll down the DonationCoder memory lane sometime.
We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on.
--- Richard Feynman (1918-1988)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Retracing DonationCoder's footsteps
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 08:11 AM »
+1.

The site has a rich history  :up:

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 07:37 AM »
Found a link to a French language software blog that my version of Chromium now easily translates - led me to a file manager I'm going to try called  Multi Commander.

Did you ever try this?  I came across it today via "The Portable Freeware Collection" -- looks quite nice!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 04:37 PM »
-I tried it just a little today, because of yesterday's update. During first launch (portable 64 bit version) I asked for hotkeys a la Windows (F5=refresh, etcetera), but the GUI was their private setup (F5=Copy, etcetera) all the same. When I then opened the otherwise brilliant Button Editor, it asked me to click the button that I wanted to edit, but stayed in front of the buttons! => I had to first grap and move the editor's window, before I could use it.

This was all I got to try, before I was called away. Still, I want to test it more thoroughly tomorrow; despite these minor "errors", the program looks very capable.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 06:15 AM by Curt »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 11:58 PM »
I do this on the order of once a year or so, just going back to the beginning and browsing through until I fall asleep.
If I remember correctly, the post categories weren't always the way they are now, and the coding snacks section was once the busiest part (it's what brought me here by way of Shell Extension City)

Good times, good times...

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 01:41 AM »
During first launch (portable 64 bit version) I asked for hotkeys a la Windows (F5=refresh, etcetera), but the GUI was their private setup (F5=Copy, etcetera) all the same. When I then opened the otherwise brilliant Button Editor, it asked me to click the button that I wanted to edit, but stayed in front of the buttons! => I had to first grap and move the editor's window, before I could use it.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I didn't find:

Configuration ->
    Quick Look'n'Feel Setup...

to work as I expected either.

FWIW, to get Refresh to be F5 instead of F2, I made some changes via:

Configuration ->
    Keyboard Customization

Some rough edges for sure (e.g. Tray Icon behavior seemed quirky), but looks promising :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 06:06 AM »
I think it was this post by mouser that made me visit DC the first time,
and to become a member the very next day:

JackAss JoeJoe's Freeware Utilities - Nice Collection

I often re-visit old pages, in order to find now-what-was-it-that-it-was-called programs.

:up: