ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google to Acquire Motorola

<< < (3/3)

zridling:
seems like the phone industry is consolidating.-lanux128 (August 16, 2011, 08:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
Seems that way, but again, because of the way the patent system is structured, the little guys can't even think of competing in the mobile space.

It remains to be seen whether Google will do the right thing and actually help their multiple hardware manufacturing partners rather than just turning Motorola into a "1st party" juggernaut, but I'm cautiously optimistic.... Making Motorola into essentially a monopoly in the cell phone (or at least Android) market would also likely turn up the heat on antitrust investigations that are constantly being talked about against Google, and I'm sure they don't want that either. Bottom line, I think it would be foolish for them to use Motorola as anything other than a defensive weapon. And as a defensive weapon I reckon it's pretty solid. - Oshyan -JavaJones (August 17, 2011, 03:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm hoping so, too. No need to kill fellow Android competition. Motorola is a distant 4th place in mobile units, way behind Samsung (on the Android side). So unless they're going to really turn the sector upside down by offering free phones in exchange for ads, seems like that would be a self-defeating move to invite an anti-trust investigation.

zridling:
It's Clear Why Software Patents Need to Disappear
by Katherine Noyes, PC World
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/238173/its_clear_why_software_patents_need_to_disappear.html

mwb1100:
I doubt that they want to kill off Samsung, LG, HTC and others from using Android.
-Renegade (August 16, 2011, 03:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

I imagine you're right about that.  However, if I were someone important at Samsung, LG or HTC I'd certainly be thinking about the possible drawbacks of depending on software from a company that competes in the same hardware arena.

Remember how Google limited release of Honeycomb because it wasn't ready for non-tablets (or something like that)?  Imagine if they did something similar, but limited the release to the Motorola division of Google "becuase we can manage quality control better that way".

Renegade:
I doubt that they want to kill off Samsung, LG, HTC and others from using Android.
-Renegade (August 16, 2011, 03:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

I imagine you're right about that.  However, if I were someone important at Samsung, LG or HTC I'd certainly be thinking about the possible drawbacks of depending on software from a company that competes in the same hardware arena.
-mwb1100 (August 19, 2011, 05:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Samsung thought of that LOOOOONNNNNGGG ago...

http://www.bada.com/

They're positioned to drop Android at any moment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version