ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google to Acquire Motorola

(1/3) > >>

Renegade:
Should have seen this one coming:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/supercharging-android-google-to-acquire.html

That is why I am so excited today to announce that we have agreed to acquire Motorola.
--- End quote ---

And:

We recently explained how companies including Microsoft and Apple are banding together in anti-competitive patent attacks on Android. The U.S. Department of Justice had to intervene in the results of one recent patent auction to “protect competition and innovation in the open source software community” and it is currently looking into the results of the Nortel auction. Our acquisition of Motorola will increase competition by strengthening Google’s patent portfolio, which will enable us to better protect Android from anti-competitive threats from Microsoft, Apple and other companies.
--- End quote ---

Awww... Poor Google... They're not having any fun in the patent insanity wars anymore...  :harhar:

It's only funny until someone loses a court case... :P

So what's next? MS acquires HTC? I'd love to see a broad .NET abstraction layer placed over Android and Windows Phone (and iOS for that matter). One point of development to compile everywhere.

mahesh2k:
Basically they want to kill samsung, LG and any other brands which are using android. That way they'll become market leader for android mobiles and they can go headon with microsoft, apple and nokia. I think less-popular mobile companies like samsung, LG, Sony should move to their own platform or meego to save their company from upcoming google threat.

Renegade:
I think the article is right about them wanting the patent protection. I doubt that they want to kill off Samsung, LG, HTC and others from using Android. That would really be spitting in their faces, and I don't think it would be good for Google/Motorola/Googorola.

Ath:
So what's next? MS acquires HTC?
-Renegade (August 15, 2011, 10:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, MS bought Nokia already, so why buy another phone maker? Yeah, to kill more competitors :'(

mahesh2k:
Protecting patents by grabbing more under your own organizations label ? that's double standard from google.

As for google acquiring motorola, they did that to dominate android market. You can't compete with 6% microsoft phone crowd and 40% apple crowd only by creating open source mobile platform. You have to come up with hardware as well before dumping them down the trash. They did this type of thing already when they first penalized "beat that quote" site and then they purchased it and ranked it higher again than any other quote websites in the search results. Very few people in SEO world noticed this type trick from google.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version