topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:57 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: WinXP: monitor USB port disconnects when computer is locked  (Read 3169 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
At my work computer, when I lock my Windows XP, sometimes the USB disconnects that I have plugged into the side port of the display.  This is really bad, and it completely f--ks everything up.  Plus it is intermittent and annoying.  It doesn't do it every time, but like 1/5 times.  I've researched this thoroughly on the web and have found no good answers.  Yes, I have disabled power management for all the usb ports on the computer, so that's not it (it's the most common suggestion on the web).  Any thoughts?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: WinXP: monitor USB port disconnects when computer is locked
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 05:44 PM »
Is it a Dell? I got a bad batch of T1500s a while back that had certain USB ports that liked to "flicker" a bit.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 05:50 PM »
No, it's an HP.  But you may be right, it may be a mechanical problem.  I don't think so, though, because I have two monitors and I've tried plugging into both of them, and all the 4 ports available.  It's programmatic I think.  Something is happening when the computer locks.  Or maybe it's the screensaver, I don't know.  But I've turned off all those power management features.  I did it for the usb ports and I also did it for the screensaver/power management settings.  So I don't know of any other things to try.

The weird thing is that the computer still knows that something is in the port, it just stops reading it after it disconnects.  If I just pull it out and replug it in, it's fine (minus all the errors on the screen from all the live programs getting interrupted).

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 03:17 AM »
How is the monitor reacting to the system going into low-power/standby state? My system with DisplayPort connected monitors, switches screen-resolution (to 800x600 from 1920x1200) when the monitor is turned off, with Windows in a Locked state. Didn't test with USB devices yet, but it could be that a stand-by state of the monitors disconnects the USB ports also (the off-state certainly does).
Try connecting your USB devices directly (or using a USB-hub if you need extra ports) to the system, and see if that improves the matter.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 08:57 AM »
How is the monitor reacting to the system going into low-power/standby state? My system with DisplayPort connected monitors, switches screen-resolution (to 800x600 from 1920x1200) when the monitor is turned off, with Windows in a Locked state. Didn't test with USB devices yet, but it could be that a stand-by state of the monitors disconnects the USB ports also (the off-state certainly does).
Try connecting your USB devices directly (or using a USB-hub if you need extra ports) to the system, and see if that improves the matter.
Yeah, I think I'm going to do that.  I'll get a small usb hum and just put it on my desk.  This monitor port has been unstable for 2 years.