ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Problem: I can't understand how to get a W7-64 machine into an XP-32 network

<< < (3/6) > >>

nudone:
Chuckle. (Sorry.)

cranioscopical:
Chuckle. (Sorry.)-nudone (August 15, 2011, 02:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

;D ;D  My work has not been in vain  :Thmbsup:

cranioscopical:

Hooray!

All stations on the network are communicating.

Thanks for the pointers, everyone! (If only I knew what I did  :-[ )

A new machine ought to be fun but, due to circumstances, this hasn't been too enjoyable... yet.

My own conclusion about W7 is that it would be great for someone starting from scratch. Trying to impose a structure in keeping with a previous machine is a bit frustrating. Thank goodness for FARR and the W7 search box on the start menu.

worstje:
I just took a quick glance around.. and I noticed that in my Network and Sharing Center, there is a 'Connection' header with the name of the adapter/network-thingy behind it, which says 'Local Area Connection' in my case. The interesting bit though is that right before it it has an icon that resembles a RJ-45 plug used for networking to signify it is wired. What does it show for you? (Disclaimer: this pc does not have a wireless connection...)

Either way, I think clicking around there should fix your problems. My computer was never configured for a Homegroup or whatever, and I did not have any issues interfacing with old XP computers, so you can at least ignore the settings involving that.

Oh, you ninja'd this post to say you fixed it. Well done!

If I can give any tips  to a new W7 user, it is to move the taskbar to either the left or the right side of your screen so that it becomes vertical. It is a change that takes a day or two of getting used to, but I find that I really love the vertical space all my windows get this way - especially on those wide screens nowadays. As an added advantage, I find my taskbar ends up wasting less screen space because in W7 I am not nearly as dependant on window labels. :)

Stoic Joker:
Hooray!

All stations on the network are communicating.
-cranioscopical (August 15, 2011, 03:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Glad you got it working.

Windows 7 should be able to connect just fine to an XP workgroup right out of the box. I did two of them last week with zero issues.

Main tripping points tend to be Simple File Sharing (unless everybody is Home edition, then you're stuck with it), Blank passwords (MS killed that action by default in XP SP2), Firewalls, and selection the wrong network type/location:
Public (locks it down like a nun's knees)
Work (allows communication to happen)
Home (Lets it be free & easy)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version