ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Problem: I can't understand how to get a W7-64 machine into an XP-32 network

<< < (2/6) > >>

cranioscopical:
I'm sitting with an XP machine beside the i7 for convenience.
I dropped the firewalls on both machines.
typed in \\(and the ip address) of the XP machine... 'network path not found'
restored both firewalls for the moment.

in the W7 active networks, it shows my wireless network as 'work network' Local Area Connection.
In fact, I have the wireless card disabled.
If I drop the lan cable from the machine, the 'wireless' network has no connection (and I'm off the net).
So W7 thinks my hardwired connection is the wireless network, undoubtedly because of some error I made in a configuration somewhere.

If I disconnect all but my W7 and one XP machine, will that be enough to limit this exercise to just the two machines for the time being?
That would cut down the diagnostic stuff quite a bit

worstje:
Ok, call me naive, but how about going to Device Manager and the Network screens, and deleting your network cards and the likes? After a reboot, Windows ought to recognise them again... except you should  hopefully get rid of whatever wrong choices you make. I never heard of Windows confusing wireless and wirey, and I'd prefer to hit it with a good stick of sanity in such a situation.

cranioscopical:
Ok, call me naive, but how about going to Device Manager and the Network screens, and deleting your network cards and the likes?
-worstje (August 15, 2011, 12:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I just tried that.
Then I disabled the wireless LAN card
The wireless connection icon in the tray claims to be connected to the web.
If I then pull the CAT cable the 'wireless' connection vanishes.

I'm going to drop back to a restore point that's before I began.
I may be back, but then again...

worstje:
Is it merely a 'wrong description' issue? In other words, when you click on your 'Wired' connection settings, can you choose wireless networks? Do the physical devices/drivers match up with their improper names (thus confirming it is just a naming issue!) ? If it is just a matter of a wrong name, you can very likely just F2 (=rename) and forget about it in terms of finding the error there... although I still am of the opinion it is weird as hell.

cranioscopical:
Just to keep things interesting, system restore failed.
I'll probably wind up retoring this machine from an image.

But first, can anyone tell me how to delete an incorrect network setup under W7.

Dumb though it sounds, a lot of my trouble here is that I can't yet find how to do what I was used to doing under XP.

I hope somebody's at least getting a chuckle out of this...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version