topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 3:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: In search of alternative wifi management software  (Read 8756 times)

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
In search of alternative wifi management software
« on: August 13, 2011, 03:51 PM »
I recently bought a usb wifi card that supports being a wifi card and being an AP so that I could use my DS(first gen) on the internet without having to drop my wifi down from wpa to wep/open.
The device I bought doesn't really have a specific name (I couldn't really find one on the package) but in windows, it shows up as "Realtek RTL8188CU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter"
Right now I am using some software called "Realtek 11n usb wireless lan utility" The software is ok at best. It is kind of slow, and sometimes when I plug in the device, the software won't work. I was wondering if there is any other program that will let me configure my usb card to either run as a wifi card or as an access point. I have looked, but I can't seem to find anything. Any help would be much appreciated.
[Insert really cool signature here]

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: In search of alternative wifi management software
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 04:21 PM »
AFAIK they're all pretty much proprietary and locked in by vendor.

The problem with wifi is that the drivers are proprietary. That's why wifi has traditionally been such a headache for Linux users. Without access to the underlying driver code, it's very difficult for a 3rd party to write a utility for a specific card. And since cards vary so widely, it's also really hard to do a generic management app. Because even if a card uses a widely available Broadcom or Realtek chip/driver set, each manufacturer will often customize their version. So there's really no such thing as generic anything when it comes to wifi cards.

If it's any consolation, most USB wifi card utilities are equally sucky. Many users (myself included) tend to ignore these utilities and just use whatever control panel or configuration tools the operating system we're running on provides.
 :)

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 04:26 PM »
That kind of sucks. I did some more searching, and I ran across a program called connectify. If does what I am wanting, but it only supports wpa encryption, which kind of defeats the purpose, since my current wifi already uses that encryption. Looks like I might have to stick with the slow software that I am currently using.
[Insert really cool signature here]

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 11:49 AM »
I've come up short in searches for this in the past as well. What 40hz said probably explains why. :-\

- Oshyan

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 10:49 AM »
Regards, Brahman

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 11:41 AM »
Would this help:
http://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/

It's 'limited' to WPA2 protection, so not usable in the scenario for nite_monkey, as he requires WEP protected WiFi at most. Unless he can build his private version of it, downgrading the protection to WEP.