topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Samsung hard drives - don't buy them unless you like subliminal mental torture  (Read 24178 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
 ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

^@Carol - what brilliant combination of form and function. To say nothing of utility. Or symbolism. You deserve nomination for some sort of prize for that idea. (Possibly even a TED Talk slot to present it!)

Full points! :Thmbsup:

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Some practical comments on Carol's suggestion.
Just don't use the chain for the on/off button...
And where would you put the reset button?

Hmmm, in case of a problem, which crapcleaner do you use?

:P

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Maybe I should get to work writing a "registry cleaner and deodorizer"?

Or a double disinfectant...combo anti-virus and germ killer?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
And where would you put the reset button?

Close the lid, open the lid. ...The girls should appreciate our finally using that option.

That would be fully automated, and attached to the little handle on the tank.

First the mechanism is (...) "Dumped Full", Then Flush...

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
at the risk of being on topic, have you considered adding some sound deadening to the case as well?

I'd try sitting the case on something (a piece of high density foam or polystyrene sheet, or even corrugated cardboard) and probably lining the sides as well (they make great drums!!)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hmmmmmmm quietest drive I ever had was in a 486.  I forget the drive make.  But it was a 200 MB SCSI.  It had a voice coil.  The only time I could hear anything from it was if I put my ear next to it at about 2:00 AM when other noise had subsided in the house.  Man that thing was quiet!!  Watching the LED was the only way I could tell it was thrashing.

Of course the downside was only 200 MB storage! :)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'd try sitting the case on something (a piece of high density foam or polystyrene sheet, or even corrugated cardboard) and probably lining the sides as well (they make great drums!!)
Better yet, make up some kind of plinth from layers of different materials. +1 on lining the sides!

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
at the risk of being on topic, have you considered adding some sound deadening to the case as well?

Or put on some music very loud!! Like if your elbow hurts get somebody to stomp on your toe.  You forget about the elbow! :)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Good ideas but all this is happening inside an Antec case that has padded sides already. I've also tried putting the case on top of some padding but the machine is so heavy (around 3 stone, or 20 kg) that there isn't anything sufficient to put under it - maybe a bed matress (we can now discuss bed/pc mods to go with the toilet mods).

Anyway, the annoying humming noise has gone - definitely. It just isn't a silent machine overall at the moment so, when the extension cables arrive, I will be putting the machine in the other room (neighbour's toilet habits permitting).

For anyone experiencing a similar annoying hard drive hum, this is the material I've used: http://en.wikipedia....rg/wiki/Sleeping_pad

foam-mattress.jpg

I've cut several small rectangles out from the foam so that each hard drive rests on four of these layers. This is something I shall do in future (as it works better than anything else so far) - but it requires a more secure way of restraining the drives. It's fine whilst the machine is stationary, but if I were to forget about the hd foam bed setup I could easily have hard drives smashing around inside the case when I try to carry it somewhere (I've stuck a post-it note to the side of the case to remind me about the unstable contents - yes, I am likely to forget otherwise).

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I've cut several small rectangles out from the foam so that each hard drive rests on four of these layers.
Good for sound reduction, but what are the effects on temperature? Sleeping pads are made for insulation...
- carpe noctem

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Good point. But I did leave out a few details which, I think, mean there's nothing for me to worry about.

1. The hard drives are still in their Antec metal trays (which have rubber grommet anti-vibration things for the screws, but obviously don't work to reduce the annoying hum). These metal trays are resting on the foam pads - so there is a gap between pad and hard drive.

2. Both hard drives are directly behind a fan at the front of the case.

Either way, the insulation issue is worth remembering, i.e. now I won't be tempted to do something stupid and wrap the drives in lots of foam padding to try and wedge them into the case.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I saw one time a person who used rubber bands (the big, postal kind). He used two of those, twisted around the drive and the twisted ends were put through chassis openings in the 5,25" bays. The drives were suspended, creating a very silent PC.

Still not a good idea to subject the PC to sudden movements, but silent it will be...and no heat insulation issues. Brilliance in simplicity.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
I saw one time a person who used rubber bands (the big, postal kind). He used two of those, twisted around the drive and the twisted ends were put through chassis openings in the 5,25" bays. The drives were suspended, creating a very silent PC.
Did that in a server once, and it worked very well. I'd be a bit cautious about it today, though, since rubber tends to wear out. I've been considering repeating the success, but using stuff like this instead:
845_890_bs.jpg

Also, after getting a work laptop, I hardly use my personal laptop anymore... and I put a 120gig SSD in that. So I'm also considering replacing my 2x74gig raptor stripe with that - then I'd be entirely free from mechanical disks in my workstation.
- carpe noctem

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ah well, it is advisable to take your PC once or twice a year apart for cleaning out the accumulated dust, A good time to change the rubber bands as well.   :)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'd also decided to avoid rubber bands as they will perish - but I did try and find those elasticated hooks on eBay, tiny ones that is.

Any idea where I can get them from, f0dder? Or anyone?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ah well, it is advisable to take your PC once or twice a year apart for cleaning out the accumulated dust, A good time to change the rubber bands as well.   :)

Hamster replacement may also be advisable.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
Around here they're usually used to strap luggage to bicycles, so I figured a well-sized bicycle shop is where I'd look first :)
- carpe noctem

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Okay, thanks. Searching for "bike straps" eventually led me to "mini bungee" which appear to be about the right size; around 10 inches.

Edit:
Just had another thought: maybe surgical tubing would be a good alternative to the rubber bands idea.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just had another thought: maybe surgical tubing would be a good alternative to the rubber bands idea.
  :up:

You can do a lot with that.

One of my machines has a case in which the drive bays do suspend the drives in heavy, black-rubber straps.
I don't suppose you want to change case at this point  :(

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've ordered the mini hungers and the surgical tubing so I'll see what works best. The Antec case I'm using has sliding trays to put he drives in, so I think it will be easy to rig up some kind of hard drive hammock.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've ordered the mini hungers and the surgical tubing so I'll see what works best. The Antec case I'm using has sliding trays to put he drives in, so I think it will be easy to rig up some kind of hard drive hammock.
At  least you won't put on weight!

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'd also decided to avoid rubber bands as they will perish - but I did try and find those elasticated hooks on eBay, tiny ones that is.

AS an ex-rock climber I would suggest buying elastic chord from an outdoor supplier. You can buy very thin chord cheaply. It is immensely strong and very unlikely to perish within the lifetime of the computer. It is also stiffer than elastic bands so you can get a more rigid system whilst retaining some elasticity (so the machine won't be prone to the jitters if it is bumped or moved for some reason).

Something like this would do:

http://www.needlespo...-per-metre-CRD-SHOCK

There are even hooks listed on the page to make up the lengths you want with clip-hooks at the ends if you want (personally I wouldn't bother - poke the end through the hole, stretch it and tie a knot).

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks, Carol. I'll see what the bungee cord and the surgical tubing is like first (as they are already ordered), if they are rubbish then I'll try the elestic chord.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Oh yes, the saga continues... but I'll keep it brief.

I've just put an (oldish) 250 gig Samsung hard drive into another computer as a secondary (backup) drive. And now there's the very same horrible humming noise coming from the tower.

I haven't time to reposition the drive(s) at the moment. So, I shall just have to live with the hard drive curse someone has obviously put upon me. Thank you very much whoever you are, I'm sure I deserve it (in your sick and twisted mind).

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm sure I deserve it (in your sick and twisted mind).
Mmmm.