ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Samsung hard drives - don't buy them unless you like subliminal mental torture

<< < (3/11) > >>

nudone:
I've now placed the two 1TB Samsung drives are a nice cosy bed of foam rubber - which I "believe" has reduced the noise.

I'm not entirely sure if the noise has gone completely as I think I can hear something but I honestly don't know if I'm imagining it - or kind of exaggerating it as I strain my ears to detect any kind of annoying sound.

Anyway, next mission. Drill holes in wall and remove all annoying hardware sounds completely.

vlastimil:
I am a long time advocate of silent computers, but it is pretty hard to actually build one. In the hard disk department, SSD is the obvious way to go. In the past, the Seagate drives were the most quiet. Maybe they still are - I stopped watching, because I am never going to buy another spinning hard drive. BTW the external USB drives are pretty silent these days. Fast SSD + large portable USB hard disk is a neat combo.

app103:
Maybe this might be of some help: http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_Hard_Drives

They have a list of the quietest drives in 2.5, 3.5, and at various speeds. Also some recommendations for other stuff for reducing drive noise.

Seems they recommend 2.5" notebook drives for desktop systems, if you really want to reduce noise without using SSD. Seems the smaller size makes them much quieter. Might be something to that. I have a USB WD Passport drive (500G), and I never hear it. I would have to literally stick my ear against it to hear any sound coming from it.

nudone:
Interesting point. Never thought about using 2.5 inch drives. I think the speed would put me off using them.

Am going in a different direction now anyway. I'm going to order the cables I need to put the machine in the room next door. I've a friend that has already put their pc tower in another room to where the monitor and keyboard/mouse are situated and it's so quiet it seems unnatural or wrong. That is what a really want, absolute dead quiet (except for the noise from the monitor). So, if I do that, the machine can make as much noise as it likes - problem solved once and for all.

tomos:
I've just recently gotten an Samsung F3 1TB drive and is being used for the os drive (also got an F4 2TB one too)

It does *not* have a hum that comes and goes - it quite possibly has a constant hum - my machine is not loud but does hum.
No vibrations but could this depend on the case?

What bothered me about it at first was a loud "seek" or write noise - a noise like I would associate with older computers. This was especially loud inititally when installing stuff and I thought I wouldnt be able to cope with it, but it is quite bearable I find in everyday use.

FWIW, since my last machine (which also had two samsung drives) I've tried to use only one drive/partition per hard drive at any one time. This reduces those seek/write noises a lot I found. So, I have roughly a setup like this:

* HD#1 has an OS partition and a partition for backing stuff up from second HD.
* Then HD#2 has my working files and a partition for images of the OS drive

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version