ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Samsung hard drives - don't buy them unless you like subliminal mental torture

<< < (2/11) > >>

app103:
Some people can pick up sounds that others can't, and sometimes those sounds can drive a person insane. It could be that you are very sensitive to that particular sound frequency. Kind of like a "Nudone dog whistle", perhaps.

Oh, I know quite well about this...I have a PC that makes a high pitched squealing sound that makes me want to rip my hair out. It's either the CPU fan or the PSU that's doing it, and I can't replace either of them because the machine is too old to consider investing a dime in it. It's constant, and the only thing I can do about it is blast music to mask it. Being a night person really made life difficult when I couldn't mask that sound at night.  :'(

And only two other people I know could hear that sound. One of them was one of my daughter's friends that was living with us for awhile, and not until I made her listen very carefully for it. Then she wanted to kill me because life was bliss for her when she couldn't hear it, and once I pointed it out she couldn't stop hearing it. She moved out a week later.

My daughter could hear it when she was about 12 and she said it was bad enough that she could hear it on the other end of the house, through a closed door. Back then I must have been immune to it because I thought she was the crazy one. I think right about the time she became immune to it, must have been when I started hearing it.  :o

nudone:
I'm now going to attempt some kind of suspended drive setup using whatever rubber bands I can find. If that fails I'm going to do what I've been dreaming of doing for several years...

...drill a hole in the wall and put the computer in the adjacent room with all the cables fed through to this room. If I can hear any annoying noises after that then I will likely have a nervous breakdown.

As for sending the drive back. At the moment I'm just so stick of dealing with returns and hardware issues that I can't bare the thought of being questioned about the drive's faults. And I certainly don't want to get my hopes up and they send a replacement drive that has the exact same issues. I'd rather just chuck the drive in a cupboard and buy another - providing it's a brand with zero noise issues.

Which is good point: Anyone got recommendations for a brand that doesn't suck with hard drive noise issues.

App, I know I'm a bit sensitive to noises - but simply because I know there's no need for them. Ever since my first computer, I was aware of other people's machines being quieter or louder. So, I just knew it was possible to have hardware that was quiet(er) - there simply was no need to sit next to a box with an screaming hard drive inside it (nor screaming fans).

Edvard:
So, sam sunging is normal behavior?
-nosh (August 13, 2011, 05:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

(with a thousand apologies to Neil Diamond...)

Sam Sung Blue, everybody loathes one
Sam Sung Blue, every write a low hum

Hard drive screws
Are subject to a little noise now and then
But when you hear that noise and it's a hum
You take it back again...
They'll send it back again

Sam Sung Blue, weeping like a willow
Sam Sung Blue, head under my pillow

Funny thing, but if you fling it with a cry of rejoice
A bitter crack then it's silenced for good
You simply got no choice...
You simply got no choice

Sam Sung Blue, I'll never buy another one
Sam Sung Blue, 'cause I just can't trust 'em...

:P

app103:
If you really want to eliminate hard drive noise, then go for the most reliable SSD you can get (read all the reviews and pick the best drive you can find), since they are all silent, no vibrations, and run cool, so they won't need any additional noisy fans near them.

But I wouldn't waste the noisy Samsung drive you already have. I'd stick that in an enclosure and use it for backup storage purposes, running it only when needed.

-Edvard (August 13, 2011, 07:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Awesome!  ;D

nudone:
So, sam sunging is normal behavior?
-nosh (August 13, 2011, 05:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sam Sung Blue, everybody loathes one
Sam Sung Blue, every write a low hum

Hard drive screws
Are subject to a little noise now and then
But when you hear that noise and it's a hum
You take it back again...
They'll send it back again

Sam Sung Blue, weeping like a willow
Sam Sung Blue, head under my pillow

Funny thing, but if you fling it with a cry of rejoice
A bitter crack then it's silenced for good
You simply got no choice...
You simply got no choice

Sam Sung Blue, I'll never buy another one
Sam Sung Blue, 'cause I just can't trust 'em...

:P

-Edvard (August 13, 2011, 07:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Brilliant. Though the drive really doesn't deserve such song writing creativity wasted upon it.

The problem is with SSD is that they are very expensive, aren't 1TB (or have they reached that now) and, worse, seem to have a high RMA rate. I've already been stung by one that I had to return. Having said that, I do intend to purchase an modest sized SSD in the near future - for data storage though, I wouldn't trust an SSD.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version