ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Solved: Fresh install of Windows XP SP3 can't use Windows Update?

(1/2) > >>

Deozaan:
Hi folks,

I just recently installed Windows XP Pro SP3 on both my netbook and an old desktop PC. The netbook installation worked without problems, but the desktop PC installation won't allow me to use Windows Update. I just get redirected to the following page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2497281

It tells me I can't use Windows Update unless I've got Service Pack 3. But I just installed SP3 and my PC tells me I've got SP3. I followed the steps there it tells me to do if I have SP3 and I'm getting that message and it doesn't help. I still can't use Windows Update.

Any suggestions?

Renegade:
Reinstall SP3? Yikes... That's ugly.  :o

Deozaan:
You mean reinstall Windows or just download the SP3 and install that?

40hz:
Try reinstalling SP3. If that doesn't work, try reinstalling the version of Windows you have, and then immediately go to the Windows Update site and do ALL your updating (including SP3) from there. I had that happen once on a client machine and that was the only way we were able to get around it.

:)

Deozaan:
Try reinstalling SP3.-40hz (August 11, 2011, 07:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Does that mean reinstall Windows (with SP3) or just download the SP3 installer and run that? :huh: The version of Windows I have is Windows XP Pro with SP3. It installs Windows with SP3 included. So I never really installed SP3 because Windows came with SP3.

If that doesn't work, try reinstalling the version of Windows you have, and then immediately go to the Windows Update site and do ALL your updating (including SP3) from there.-40hz (August 11, 2011, 07:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Apparently Windows Update doesn't work without SP3 anymore, so if I did have a version of Windows without SP3 then I couldn't even do what you suggested anyway. :-\ :huh: I'm confused.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version