ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Film vs. Movie?

<< < (2/5) > >>

40hz:
+1 with all the above.

I'm not a final authority on American English although it is my native tongue. But AFAIK, there has never been a distinction made between the term "movie" and "film" when speaking about a motion picture. They are interchangeable terms, with "movie" being more commonly used in ordinary conversation.

Note: when I was in college, some people insisted on using the term "film" to designate better quality motion pictures and used the word "movie' in a derogatory sense - mostly when referring to American motion pictures. Non-US made movies were always called "films" and usually prefixed with the word "foreign" as in: "foreign films." So to this crowd of just post-adolescent aesthetes, Ben Hur and Gone with The Wind were movies; but La Dolce Vita and Fanny and Alexander were films.

:)

joiwind:
Quote : "The origin of the name "film" comes from the fact that photographic film (also called film stock) has historically been the primary medium for recording and displaying motion pictures. Many other terms exist for an individual motion picture, including picture, picture show, moving picture, photo-play and flick. A common name for film in the United States is movie, while in Europe the term film is preferred. Additional terms for the field in general include the big screen, the silver screen, the cinema and the movies." Wikiyouknowwhat.

Renegade:
My take on film vs. movie...

There is a difference. (I'm going to try to outline the logic for a native English speaker.)

"Film" denotes a physical media (film) while "movie" denotes the result.

"Film" is used for both motion pictures (from where we get the word "movie"), and for stills as well (which isn't the topic of conversation here). We'll forgo other uses of the word as they are irrelevant for this discussion.

Now, you need to understand that languages are evolving things, and that when we talk about "film" in 1920 and in 1950 and in 1990 and in 2011, those are all slightly different.

1920 vs. 1950 is where "movie" creeps in. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but let's just run with "close enough".)

In 1950, all "films" are "movies", and all "movies" are "films".

In 1990, all "films" are "movies", but not all "movies" are "films". We have "tape"...

In 2011, all "films" are "movies", but not all "movies" are "films". We have "digital storage"...

However, we still have the concept of "film" in the sense of "film" as a "motion picture" ("movie").

The common usage of "film" is for a "motion picture" or "movie", however, the common person will only use the term "movie".

"Film" is used in the "literary" sense. (Does that make sense?)

Have I clarified things any?

joiwind:
What about 1910 ?

Renegade:
What about 1910 ?
-joiwind (August 10, 2011, 12:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Meh... Close enough. ;) :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page