ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

too much security?

(1/3) > >>

cmpm:
Found this today.

http://pcdoctor.kingsoft.com/index.shtml

A free security program, with various functions including some I don't need.
Kingsoft, reputable company I reckon, as far as I know.

But!

The question is how many of these kind of security products are really needed.
I have Nod, mbam and sas running full time.
And a few others I can run on demand.

I did the free Mamutu, when it was on GOTD.
That was annoying.
It Firewalls a lot of your files from interacting together.
Had to uninstall, it never found anything that was trouble.

This program from Kingsoft looks good and is free, runs full time,
but sheesh stop tempting me for more security then I need!

What do y'all think about it?

lanux128:
hmm.. one can never have too much security but in a computer that can be a case of struggle for resources. what is sas - super anti spyware?

cmpm:
yes, sas, super anti spyware

and resources being over used,
for security already covered by what I have now

I can't be sure that Kingsoft would find things the others can't,
not worried too much about it, more security is great,
but do I need it.

steeladept:
hmm.. one can never have too much security -lanux128 (August 10, 2011, 10:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

I disagree here.  Too much security (in my opinion) is any security that is in excess of the minimum security needed to be safe from a risk management perspective.  Security, by design, get's in the way of operation - be it physical, computer, operational, etc.  If it didn't, it wouldn't work, since that is it's purpose.  The problem is too much means you can't function.  Take physical security as an example.  Ever been anywhere where you needed to get in to do your job, but the door was locked and no one had the key?  That is too much security for the issue.  Does  that mean it isn't warranted?  No, there is a lot more to secure that just that job, but it does prevent the job as "collateral damage" of the security it is designed for.  Similarly, a computer security program prevents programs from operating in certain ways. There are legitamate reasons for some of them to operate that way, however.  That means you have to "unlock" the route for the program to function.  This, however, lowers security by allowing the program to run.  Risk management dictates that the security breach probability is very low vs. the program's need to run, so you allow it, but that doesn't change the fact that security is decreased, even if it is only slightly.  In the end, when it comes to computer security, the only real security is the off button, but then the computer will not run at all!

40hz:
My current opinion is that (for Windows 7) anything that goes beyond:

* using Windows' built-in firewall
* installing a copy of Microsoft Security Essentials
* not disabling UAC
* keeping Windows, MSE, and your applications regularly updated
* not being overly stupid about what attachments you open or what software you download and install
is "too much security" for 99.9% of all Windows 7 users.

Support people and techno-wonks may occasionally need (or want to play with) some additional tools. But for most people, the above should do quite nicely

And oh yeah - making that system repair disk and recovery media set, plus doing those backups most people never seem to get around to making wouldn't hurt either.  ;D

:Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version