ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Operation Facebook (will you rejoice?)

<< < (7/8) > >>

wraith808:
^ But are those cases of identity theft caused by FB?  Are they the reason that they happened?  Or is it just that the act was enabled by facebook existing?  Sort of like the route that the RIAA and MPAA take- prosecuting the means rather than the people that are actually behind it...

nosh:
I was responding to 40s comment about everyone on FB having opted in. I don't have a dog in this fight, I just think what's happening is unavoidable. If not anon, it'd be someone else down the line.

I do believe a lot of people have blind faith in services like Facebook and don't realize all the implications of putting their personal info out there. They could definitely use a wake up call. Having their faith in FB shaken a bit can't hurt.

wraith808:
I do believe a lot of people have blind faith in services like Facebook and don't realize all the implications of putting their personal info out there. They could definitely use a wake up call. Having their faith in FB shaken a bit can't hurt.
-nosh (August 14, 2011, 02:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think that a lot of people just don't think about it.  But just because they don't, why is it anyone's right to try to make them?  And yes, for some people it can hurt.

nosh:
It isn't anyone's right to make them think about it. I'm not defending anon or hacking in general.

And yes, getting you account hacked can definitely hurt. Realizing that Facebook is vulnerable to hacks, scams, whatever could help. They're two distinct aspects, you don't necessarily need to be the victim of hacking to have your faith in FB shaken. Simple bad press may get the job done.

40hz:
FWIW - I don't have a dog in this fight either. I don't do social networking (FB/TwitterG+ et al.) and I have no intention of ever opening an account on any of these services if I can possibly avoid it. But much as I dislike these social networks, the companies behind them - and, in many cases, the user/advocates for these services - I still don't argue they should be shut down or avoided just because 40hz personally doesn't care for them.

What I do object to is the arrogance and hubris of a group of people who flatter themselves by thinking they're neo-vigilantes, and who seem to feel they have the right to crash a system they can individually avoid and ignore if they want to.

Sorry, but I'm one of 'those people' who doesn't appreciate people who presume to speak or act on my behalf without my explicit consent. I have enough respect for myself and MY freedom that I don't willingly cede its support and maintenance to anyone - be they a big faceless government, or a group of trashers. Especially when their rhetoric about the "clueless masses" sounds just like the attitude of contempt towards humanity you perceive in the actions of so many of those already in power.

Just my tuppence. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version