topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Operation Facebook (will you rejoice?)  (Read 19452 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Operation Facebook (will you rejoice?)
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2011, 08:36 AM »
So tell me...what do they rationally expect to accomplish by trying to do this?  :huh:

ego enlargement
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2011, 08:53 AM »
So tell me...what do they rationally expect to accomplish by trying to do this?  :huh:

ego enlargement

Reminds me this one kid I grew up with. He couldn't walk down a sidewalk without going out of his way to find, and step on, some defenseless little bug.

The innately mean personality blossoms early.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 09:04 AM by 40hz »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 10:59 AM »
Seems like an unjustifiable amount of collateral damage is about to be inflicted on a huge number of undeserving people.  And all in the name of "teaching a lesson" to a large corporation . One which is not going to change anything it does in the wake of it - except possibly push for even greater government regulation of the Web. And likely cooperate even more with government law enforcement than it (allegedly) already does.

So tell me...what do they rationally expect to accomplish by trying to do this?  :huh:

Anon has affectively made a declaration of war against FB. And given their opponent a (roughly) 3 month lead time to backup and fortify as (they see fit) necessary. if apathy prevails...Well...

I've been "warned", and have taken appropriate steps to ensure that all pictures of my granddaughter the wife has in her FB account are also stored in an alternate location. My work is done (se above)...

The corporations have been and will continue to milk people for every ounce of marketable information regardless of any silly concerns about the privacy and well being of the individual. Unless someone gets their attention by making it a less tantalizing an option.

I fail to see any reason to fear a "reprisal" that is the inevitable out come of the current trends. Knowledge is power. It always has been. ...And properly subjugated drones do not have it. Hence the access to information as we have it today, must be stopped. To allow our corporate overlords to gain an appropriate level of control over the thronging (not them and therefore unwashed) masses.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2011, 11:13 AM »
@JJ - I wonder what's really worse. Having a corporation play games with my information - or having a bevy of script-kiddies decide to take it upon themselves to smash something I'm using just because they don't like it.

Everybody who uses Facebook registered for an account and basically asked to be there.

I don't know anybody using Facebook that asked anon to try and crash it.

How about you?

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2011, 12:43 PM »
i don't mean to nitpick here but I have heard of cases of identity theft on FB where the authorities haven't done anything to help the victims despite several people reporting it. Perhaps not for lack of trying, but I suppose the policy is "when in doubt, f### it!" I'm sure a few of those victims would be delighted to see FB go down in flames.

The bottomline is, FB, like most of the Intertubes, is unregulated - even if an imposter is eventually stopped, a lot of irrevocable damage can be incurred.

This cat and mouse game, IMHO, is unavoidable. Even necessary for future security. I'm just glad Anon is keeping itself busy with the likes of FB and (hopefully) not messing with the local nuclear plant.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2011, 01:35 PM »
^ But are those cases of identity theft caused by FB?  Are they the reason that they happened?  Or is it just that the act was enabled by facebook existing?  Sort of like the route that the RIAA and MPAA take- prosecuting the means rather than the people that are actually behind it...

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2011, 02:01 PM »
I was responding to 40s comment about everyone on FB having opted in. I don't have a dog in this fight, I just think what's happening is unavoidable. If not anon, it'd be someone else down the line.

I do believe a lot of people have blind faith in services like Facebook and don't realize all the implications of putting their personal info out there. They could definitely use a wake up call. Having their faith in FB shaken a bit can't hurt.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2011, 02:30 PM »
I do believe a lot of people have blind faith in services like Facebook and don't realize all the implications of putting their personal info out there. They could definitely use a wake up call. Having their faith in FB shaken a bit can't hurt.

I think that a lot of people just don't think about it.  But just because they don't, why is it anyone's right to try to make them?  And yes, for some people it can hurt.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2011, 02:44 PM »
It isn't anyone's right to make them think about it. I'm not defending anon or hacking in general.

And yes, getting you account hacked can definitely hurt. Realizing that Facebook is vulnerable to hacks, scams, whatever could help. They're two distinct aspects, you don't necessarily need to be the victim of hacking to have your faith in FB shaken. Simple bad press may get the job done.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2011, 04:05 PM »
FWIW - I don't have a dog in this fight either. I don't do social networking (FB/TwitterG+ et al.) and I have no intention of ever opening an account on any of these services if I can possibly avoid it. But much as I dislike these social networks, the companies behind them - and, in many cases, the user/advocates for these services - I still don't argue they should be shut down or avoided just because 40hz personally doesn't care for them.

What I do object to is the arrogance and hubris of a group of people who flatter themselves by thinking they're neo-vigilantes, and who seem to feel they have the right to crash a system they can individually avoid and ignore if they want to.

Sorry, but I'm one of 'those people' who doesn't appreciate people who presume to speak or act on my behalf without my explicit consent. I have enough respect for myself and MY freedom that I don't willingly cede its support and maintenance to anyone - be they a big faceless government, or a group of trashers. Especially when their rhetoric about the "clueless masses" sounds just like the attitude of contempt towards humanity you perceive in the actions of so many of those already in power.

Just my tuppence. :)

« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 04:28 PM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2011, 06:25 PM »
Sorry, but I'm one of 'those people' who doesn't appreciate people who presume to speak or act on my behalf without my explicit consent. I have enough respect for myself and MY freedom that I don't willingly cede its support and maintenance to anyone - be they a big faceless government, or a group of trashers. Especially when their rhetoric about the "clueless masses" sounds just like the attitude of contempt towards humanity you perceive in the actions of so many of those already in power.

Agreed.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2011, 08:58 PM »
I agree as well.  I suppose what I will find hilarious is Facebook's embarrassment as they're forced to admit that their "security precautions" are lame.  What I don't find amusing is that individual FB users have no choice in this.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2011, 11:45 PM »
Hey - I didn't opt in by choice! Well, technically I did but in reality I signed up because someone here a DC formed a "Software Users" group - something like that - and asked DC members to join. So I did, and... hardly anyone else did! And NO ONE here has ever gone any further with it. I posted about a couple times, trying to stir up a little interest but there wasn’t any. And that was back a ways before FB was anywhere near as popular as it eventually became. I still belong but I never even bother to log in - except when I have to go and opt-out of all those nice new Auto opt-in lack of privacy "features" Mark Z. keeps tossing at me!

Jim

vlastimil

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2011, 03:37 AM »
Same with me. I joined not because I wanted, but because it was expected of me... Can you run a micro-business without having a facebook profile? How many invitations from your supporters can you ignore?

I was terrified when I visited some unknown web for the first time and there I saw my picture. Clicking on in revealed that they have a "special" relationship with facebook and facebook made the information about me available to them to make their services "better". (This is not the same as the facebook comments you see on many sites.) I opted out of this program, but how many will? How many do care about these things? Now I carefully log out every time I leave facebook and I should probably purge the long-duration cookies as well.