ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Operation Facebook (will you rejoice?)

<< < (5/8) > >>

Renegade:
Nobody is FORCED to use facebook, people have chosen to...so what they are doing makes zero sence.
-Stephen66515 (August 10, 2011, 05:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not so sure.

I think it's more like setting a poisoned steak in front of a dog then blaming the dog for eating it.

People are more like animals that what we'd like to think people are. While we consider ourselves "sentient" and capable of "free thought", I think a lot of that is quite delusional.

People do not always behave rationally or in their own best interests. With the increasing complexity of determining what is in one's own best interest, it becomes less and less reasonable to say that people must be responsible for making decisions that are not in their own best interest as the sheer complexity of some issues is well beyond the ability of most people to understand.

Sure, the dog may understand that poison is bad, but connecting that faint smell with the overwhelming lure of a big, fat, juicy steak? Not gonna happen.

40hz:
it becomes less and less reasonable to say that people must be responsible for making decisions that are not in their own best interest
-Renegade (August 11, 2011, 05:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Love ya R-Man! But I don't buy it.  ;)

If that becomes accepted wisdom, it provides the justification for setting up a 'prole' class like in 1984.

If people can't be asked to make intelligent decisions - and be expected to act in their own best interests - then we might as well hang it up and restructure our society along the lines of an ant colony. Because that's what we'll have become.
 :P :Thmbsup:

KynloStephen66515:
Wow...just thought...imagine how many people this going to affect OUTSIDE of facebook...

All those websites that use Facebook Connect to allow customers to play games, share data etc...bye bye accounts lol

kyrathaba:
I have a FB account, but I still think it'll be hilarious if they succeed.  And truthfully, I don't use FB that much, so I won't miss it.

40hz:
Seems like an unjustifiable amount of collateral damage is about to be inflicted on a huge number of undeserving people.  And all in the name of "teaching a lesson" to a large corporation . One which is not going to change anything it does in the wake of it - except possibly push for even greater government regulation of the Web. And likely cooperate even more with government law enforcement than it (allegedly) already does.

So tell me...what do they rationally expect to accomplish by trying to do this?  :huh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version