ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Opera wand. Does it work well? Enough to abandon lastpass?

<< < (2/4) > >>

MilesAhead:
A good reason to stay away from Wand is that it stores the form fill info in operaprefs.ini in the "Personal" section in clear text. Previous Opera versions had the same  section only the file was opera6.ini. It's been that way for quite awhile. It's not like it's a secret known only by a few.

I'd go with a tool that at least does some encryption or obfuscation of the info.  With operaprefs.ini you just call ReadIniSection("Personal") and you've got it all in clear text!

db90h:
When I used Opera on the PC (Opera Mini still in use for mobile devices), the wand was the stupidest thing I'd ever seen. Here's the deal: Every other browser on the planet will auto-fill your login information when you revisit a page (that you've saved). We're talking only username and password. With Opera, you have to go and press the Wand button, or use a keyboard shortcut, to have it fill the username and password with your saved info. No auto-fill without invoking the 'wand'. This was an unnecessary extra step. Sure, I suppose it could fill more stuff in than standard browsers, for those much more rare occasions when that's needed, but for the every-day chore of logging into your favorite web sites, you had to go hit that stupid wand. Did they ever change this?

rjbull:
http://www.roboform.com/platforms/browsers/opera

Works very well!
-Josh (August 08, 2011, 06:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks!  I'm still trying to avoid shelling out for an update to RoboForm, but if I ever upgrade Firefox...  it's nice to have Opera as well now.

Josh:
I upgraded, but only after a conversation with their VP of marketing. I advise anyone who has issues with how RF handled their upgrades to contact Mr. Bill Carey, b2carey [@t] siber [daught] com. I explained to him my situation, my feelings about their upgrade policy, and he was willing to help.

xtabber:
A good reason to stay away from Wand is that it stores the form fill info in operaprefs.ini in the "Personal" section in clear text. Previous Opera versions had the same  section only the file was opera6.ini. It's been that way for quite awhile. It's not like it's a secret known only by a few.
-MilesAhead (August 08, 2011, 08:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
That section contains only info like name, address and phone number, and they don't get entered automatically into forms, so they aren't visible unless someone has access to your system outside of Opera. If that's the case, you have worse problems than having your name and address listed in plain text in an .ini file.

Opera's logins and passwords are stored encrypted in a file called Wand.dat in the Opera\Profile folder.

I personally dislike software that tries to automate things like logins without my active participation and prefer the way Wand works.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version