ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

IDEA: Mute sound from all windows/applications except Whitelisted

<< < (2/3) > >>

magician62:
I did an experiment, and set IE to Zero volume, then closed all instances of IE. On re-starting IE, volume was still Zeroed, though I have yet to see what happens on re-boot, will find that out in the morning. :)

MilesAhead:
Right.  But as soon as you put the volume up to hear something, then forget about it, you get zapped again.

Plus getting the volume control to come up is a nuisance.  I'd look for an enhanced mixing app with more sophisticated settings if going that route.

steeladept:
Right.  But as soon as you put the volume up to hear something, then forget about it, you get zapped again.

Plus getting the volume control to come up is a nuisance.  I'd look for an enhanced mixing app with more sophisticated settings if going that route.

-MilesAhead (August 06, 2011, 03:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
Seems like a perfect job for some sort of AHK script or something.  Store default settings and revert back after 15 minutes (or whatever).  Maybe it isn't that easy, but it is an idea....If it turns into a doable project, perhaps an enhancement of the idea is to set a toggle where a second "default" is set to be the alternative setting which can be implemented in a right click dialog or something.

MilesAhead:
The trouble with that approach is every new app that comes up that makes noise is going to have a separate control.  There's no way to anticipate it other than setting the max main volume control.

Since the most common offender is a browser going onto a page with sound that's spiked way up, that's where I'd concentrate the solution. It's been my experience even if you have the main volume control down very low, just enough to hear system sounds, the web pages are spiked so high they will blare at just about any setting. The place to disconnect them from the audio is in the browser(s).

ppass:
I used to play around with Indie Volume in XP and it had several issues. I reported them all to the developer, but he was slow in improving the software, so I gave up using it.

As far as I know, app-specific volume control is built into Vista and above.-skwire (August 06, 2011, 09:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Where is this sound control? In the Windows 7 control panel, there is something called "Manage audio devices". On the tab called "Communications", "Windows can automatically adjust the volume of different sounds when using the PC to place or receive telephone calls". Other than that, I see no setting for the volume per application.

I also have a "smartaudio" icon in the control panel but it does not give me the choice to select the audio level per application.

Could someone help me find the app-specific volume controls in Windows 7?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version