ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Steam: Savior or Slayer of PC Gaming?

<< < (5/12) > >>

wraith808:
Sad thing is if you're a gamer, you're likely going to end up with the requirement to be online to game (or at least *have* an Internet connection for activation) whether you're on Steam or not. See recent Ubisoft games for example...
-JavaJones (August 07, 2011, 03:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

There was enough of an outcry against this practice that they backed away from it.  That's the key thing- if it hurts the bottom line, they won't do it.  That's the only thing that they learn from.  And a large enough bloc has to have the willingness to do so.

Deozaan:
Sad thing is if you're a gamer, you're likely going to end up with the requirement to be online to game (or at least *have* an Internet connection for activation) whether you're on Steam or not. See recent Ubisoft games for example...
--- End quote ---

There was enough of an outcry against this practice that they backed away from it.  That's the key thing- if it hurts the bottom line, they won't do it.  That's the only thing that they learn from.  And a large enough bloc has to have the willingness to do so.
-wraith808 (August 07, 2011, 04:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

They removed it, but they're bringing it back again for new games. Ubisoft says always-on DRM is 'a success,' fans are confused.

Ubisoft said it has seen "a clear reduction in piracy of our titles which required a persistent online connection, and from that point of view the requirement is a success," speaking with PC Gamer.
--- End quote ---

KynloStephen66515:
--- End quote ---

-wraith808 (August 07, 2011, 04:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

They removed it, but they're bringing it back again for new games. Ubisoft says always-on DRM is 'a success,' fans are confused.

Ubisoft said it has seen "a clear reduction in piracy of our titles which required a persistent online connection, and from that point of view the requirement is a success," speaking with PC Gamer.
--- End quote ---
-Deozaan (August 08, 2011, 06:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Im sorry, but 'Always-on' DRM is going to punish those who want to play the game, but may be having internet problems.  Pirates are not going to simply give up and buy the game instead, they will just look for something else, or wait for someone to figure out how to break that DRM, and then those who have lost internet connection for ANY reason will simply aquire a cracked version to play offline.

I have several games in my collection that I did not realise had this stupid DRM crap in it, so while I was in the process of moving my ISP services to my new property, I was obviously without internet for awhile.  During that time I would have LOVED to be able to load up said games to play them, but low and behold, I got the stupid "Please make sure your connected to the internet and try again" messages! - wtf, those games are OFFLINE ONLY, I PAID FOR THEM...LET ME PLAY THEM!

Buyers can and will become pirates, but pirates will rarely ever become buyers.  Game companies simply do not understand this fact.  They say piracy harms developers, but in my view i would rather reward those who purchase, but in the same respect, be thankful of those who USE it.  I have pirated several things for several different reasons (usually lack of money to try out big software titles that would otherwise cost thousands to play with).  The difference is though, if I could afford, I would have bought them instead!

40hz:
Buyers can and will become pirates, but pirates will rarely ever become buyers.  Game companies simply do not understand this fact.
-Stephen66515 (August 08, 2011, 08:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think that's one of the most insightful comments ever made about the real problem with DRM.

Well said Stephen!

wraith808:
Agreed +1

And one of the comments from that post:

cracked versions of the constant drm and closed off games alike tend ot actualy be better in the performance seciton compared to drm filled games!! wtf arghh!

--- End quote ---

This is truly the WTF moment about the DRM.  :huh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version